Loss isn't decreasing - unable to overfit on purpose

Hello,

I am interested in using RNNs for musicology and need to predict several thing at each “time” step : melody, timing, and harmony. I decided to start with a plain old LSTM before moving on to more advanced concepts. Roughly, the architecture looks like this :

first_architecture

The three outputs predictions are fed to their respective loss functions which are then added together for training.
Upon testing, I realized that I am unable to purposely overfit the model by feeding it only one training example : the loss never converges to 0.
I verified carefully the code, taken separately, each of these outputs can be overfitted, but when I add the three losses together I run into trouble.
This means that there is a problem with the design of my network, but I don’t really understand where. Do you have any idea what is going on ?

Hi John, Could you please post the code that defines your model?

Sure :

class musicLSTM(nn.Module):
    def __init__(self,input_size,output_size,hidden_size,deepness):
        super().__init__()
        self.deepness = deepness
        self.input_size = input_size
        self.output_size = output_size
        self.hidden_size = hidden_size
        self.lstm = nn.LSTM(input_size, hidden_size,num_layers = deepness, batch_first = True)
        self.output_layer = nn.Linear(hidden_size,output_size)
        self.tanh = nn.Tanh()
        self.softmax = nn.LogSoftmax(dim = 2)

def forward(self, notes, timing, harmony, hidden = None):
        if hidden == None:
            hidden = (torch.zeros(self.deepness,1,self.hidden_size),torch.zeros(self.deepness,1,self.hidden_size))
            out, hidden = self.lstm(input,hidden)
            out = self.tanh(out)
            out = self.output_layer(out)
            out = self.softmax(out)
        else:
            out, hidden = self.lstm(input,hidden)
            out = self.tanh(out)
            out = self.output_layer(out)
            out = self.softmax(out)
        return out, hidden 

and the training is done with this function :

def train_rnn(model,notes,utils,chords):
    start = time.time()
    criterion = nn.NLLLoss()
    timing_criterion = nn.MSELoss()
    optimizer = torch.optim.Adam(model.parameters())
    n_iters = 1000
    print_every = 1
    plot_every = 2
    all_losses = []
    total_loss = 0

for iter in range(1,n_iters+1):
        optimizer.zero_grad()       
        loss = 0
        output, hidden = model(notes, timing, harmony)

for i in range(5):
            ln = criterion(output[0][i][0:130].unsqueeze(0), targetTensor(notes[0][i+1][0:130]))
            lt = timing_criterion(output[0][i][130:135], timing[0][i+1])
            lh = criterion(output[0][i][135:246].unsqueeze(0), targetTensor(harmony[0][i+1][0:111]))
            loss += ln + lt + lh
        loss.backward()
        optimizer.step()    
        total_loss += loss.item() / notes.size(1)
        if iter % print_every == 0:
             print('%s (%d %d%%) %.2f' % (time_since(start), iter, iter / n_iters * 100, loss))
        if iter % plot_every == 0:
            all_losses.append(total_loss / plot_every)
            total_loss = 0
    plt.figure()
    plt.plot(all_losses)

Defined that way, the training actually only happens on the first 5 notes of the song defined by notes,timing and harmony. Notes has the dimension (1, melody_length, 130), timing (1,melody_length, 5) and harmony (1, melody_length, 111). 130 and 111 being the possible pitches and chords available.

I found the problem : I applied softmax to the full output, ignoring the fact that part of the ouput is not supposed to be a probability density which destroyed any attempt of training it.
EDIT : even if I correct this, the loss still won’t to zero even though my training sample basically consists of three notes fed over and over … I don’t know what is happening.

Hi John,

I am new to pytorch. I ran into similar troubles while attemting to train an lstm based language model. Have you been able to solve this? Might I suggest using 3 separate linear projection layers to project each of your targets into 3 different spaces before taking a softmax and calculating error?