MemoryError when spawning workers under Windows

Hi,

I am getting a MemoryError when iterating over train_loader in the following code snippet:

def optimizer_step():
        optimizer.zero_grad()
        losses = []
        print(h.heap())
        for x_batch, y_batch in train_loader:
            # print(f"batch_size: {x_batch.shape}, {y_batch.shape}")
            prediction = model(x_batch)
            loss = loss_function(prediction, y_batch)
            print("Loss: ", loss.item())
            loss.backward()
            losses.append(loss.unsqueeze(0))
        losses = torch.cat(losses, dim=0)
        return torch.sum(losses)

The thing that’s odd is I’m running Python 64-bit under Windows 10 with >30GB free RAM. When I run guppy.hpy.heap() I get see this memory usage:

Partition of a set of 642221 objects. Total size = 72264693 bytes.

And here is the full traceback:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\Gili\Documents\myproject\aggregator\src\main\python\com.mycompany.aggregator\pytorch-ours.py", line 181, in <module>
    optimizer.step(optimizer_step)
  File "C:\Users\Gili\Documents\myproject\python\lib\site-packages\torch\optim\optimizer.py", line 88, in wrapper
    return func(*args, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Users\Gili\Documents\myproject\python\lib\site-packages\torch\autograd\grad_mode.py", line 28, in decorate_context
  File "C:\Users\Gili\Documents\myproject\python\lib\site-packages\torch\optim\lbfgs.py", line 311, in step
    orig_loss = closure()
  File "C:\Users\Gili\Documents\myproject\python\lib\site-packages\torch\autograd\grad_mode.py", line 28, in decorate_context
  File "C:\Users\Gili\Documents\myproject\aggregator\src\main\python\com.mycompany.aggregator\pytorch-ours.py", line 157, in optimizer_step
    for x_batch, y_batch in train_loader:
  File "C:\Users\Gili\Documents\myproject\python\lib\site-packages\torch\utils\data\dataloader.py", line 354, in __iter__
    self._iterator = self._get_iterator()
  File "C:\Users\Gili\Documents\myproject\python\lib\site-packages\torch\utils\data\dataloader.py", line 305, in _get_iterator
    return _MultiProcessingDataLoaderIter(self)
  File "C:\Users\Gili\Documents\myproject\python\lib\site-packages\torch\utils\data\dataloader.py", line 918, in __init__
    w.start()
  File "C:\Python39\lib\multiprocessing\process.py", line 121, in start
    self._popen = self._Popen(self)
  File "C:\Python39\lib\multiprocessing\context.py", line 224, in _Popen
    return _default_context.get_context().Process._Popen(process_obj)
  File "C:\Python39\lib\multiprocessing\context.py", line 327, in _Popen
    return Popen(process_obj)
  File "C:\Python39\lib\multiprocessing\popen_spawn_win32.py", line 93, in __init__
    reduction.dump(process_obj, to_child)
  File "C:\Python39\lib\multiprocessing\reduction.py", line 60, in dump
    ForkingPickler(file, protocol).dump(obj)
MemoryError

How do I go about debugging what is going on? I tried reducing num_workers to 1 and the problem still occurs. Setting num_workers to 0 avoids the problem but this operation is computation-intensive so I want to run across multiple processes.

I guess Windows is running into issues with IPC and/or shared memory (I’m not deeply familiar with Window’s limitations in IPC). Were multiple workers working before in this setup or were you always hitting this issue?

Were multiple workers working before in this setup or were you always hitting this issue?

It’s hard to tell. I’ve used multiple workers with code samples I found online. They also ran out of memory for no good reason, but only if I used a large number of workers. Using 1-2 workers seemed to work fine. Using 8 workers (corresponding to the number of CPU cores in my machine) complains about lack of memory even though the system has plenty left.

When I try using multiple workers in my own (custom) project, I can’t even use one worker.

I suspect there is a bug with workers, but my specific project triggers that bug earlier than other projects.

if your script is trying to serialize like 100GB at once (>memory+swap), you won’t see anything unusual from outside. Set a breakpoint in ForkingPickler.dumps and see if manual serialization succeeds for your big object.

I eventually caught on that one of my model’s fields was transitively referencing a large amount of samples, all of which were being serializes/unserialized across the worker processes.