Model performs terrible on the same dataset after setting it to eval mode

I had really good results(at least in test and accuracy), as I’ve trained model for 3 epochs on the thermal images dataset to output coordinates of moving object. For that purpose I used cnn, maxpool, lstm and linear layers.

As deviation with the target coordinates was in 1e-2 field, I decided to try out printing coordinates on the video itself, so i changed model from train() to eval() modes and gave the model the before used training video frames, with torch.zero_grad() decorator above.

Results were way far away from those I had previously. My accuracy(sum of the absoluted difference of predict and target x,y coordinates) in the training case was in 80% of all frames not greater than one pixel. Now im having worst ever results. Can somebody say how it can be possible that evaluation on the same samples, which were used for training can be soo bad??

Here Im gonna also post the general network performance and its structre.

Model:

(conv1): Conv2d(1, 40, kernel_size=(6, 6), stride=(5, 5))
  (conv2): Conv2d(40, 40, kernel_size=(5, 5), stride=(2, 2), padding=(1, 1))
  (conv3): Conv2d(40, 120, kernel_size=(3, 4), stride=(3, 3))
  (relu0): ReLU()
  (maxpool): MaxPool2d(kernel_size=2, stride=2, padding=0, dilation=1, ceil_mode=False)
  (flatten1): Flatten(start_dim=1, end_dim=-1)
  (lstm): LSTM(20, 175, num_layers=2)
  (flatten2): Flatten(start_dim=0, end_dim=-1)
  (linear3): Linear(in_features=21000, out_features=2, bias=True)
)

Optimizer:

Adam (
Parameter Group 0
    amsgrad: False
    betas: (0.9, 0.999)
    capturable: False
    differentiable: False
    eps: 1e-08
    foreach: None
    fused: False
    lr: 0.0005
    maximize: False
    weight_decay: 0
)

If you haven’t already, I would start with some sanity checks that the model is outputting similar predictions on the same data in train and eval mode. If it is, then I would check that normalization/augmentations at training time are compatible with those that are/are not being applied at eval time.

The problem is that in eval mode it predicts awfully bad on the same samples I used for training. I dont know why, since i even deleted batchnorm and dropout layers.

Right, it’s useful to isolate exactly why it’s performing poorly e.g., exactly where the model outputs diverge in training vs. eval and depending on the model even something as simple/straightforward as printing intermediate activations could help.