Mutation of the array and autograd

Hello I am creating custom loss function, on of the component is modifying the values of the data array.
so for example function f mutates A into B both A and B are the same shape and data type

f(A)=B

in order to keep backpropagation working I need to supply new array as the output so for example

B= zeros()
f(A,B)
return B

so I will not mutate A

or mutation is allowed?

I assume “mutation” refers to inplace operations, which are directly manipulating the data of the tensor, e.g. as seen here:

a = torch.zeros(1)
print(a)
# tensor([0.])

b = a
print(b)
# tensor([0.])

b.add_(1.)
print(a)
# tensor([1.])
print(b)
# tensor([1.])

If so, then it would depend on the used operations and if these values are needed for the gradient calculation. PyTorch will raise a RuntimeError is disallowed inplace operations are detected and will fail during the backward pass.

ok, thanks @ptrblck ! If it will just give error I can just experiment on this - fantastic
One more thing as this mutation function acts element wise on 3D array - is there supported way to apply the function to each element of the tensor - with access to its cartesian coordinate in the array
pseudo code below

arr= torch.rand(100,100,100)

def add_neighbour(arr,point):
     return arr[point.x+1,point.y,point.z]+arr[point.x,point.y+1,point.z]+arr[point.x,point.y,point.z+1]

apply_on_coord( add_neighbour  ,arr)

Your indexing approach of:

x[index] = x[index] + b

would also manipulate x inplace and will also raise an error if it’s disallowed.