Only batches of spatial targets supported (non-empty 3D tensors) but got targets of size: : [1, 1, 256, 256]

The procedure looks correct.
I would recommend to try to overfit a small data sample (e.g. just 10 data samples) to verify the training procedure does not contain any hidden errors.

I just did a 5 epochs. I have about 250 images.
I’m a bit confused now. The shape of my outputs from the model is torch.Size([5, 4, 224, 224]). Batch size is 5 and there are 4 masks.

Now to get the prediction how do I combine these 4 separate outputs to a single mask ?

pred = torch.argmax(output, 1) would give you the predicted class indices, which you could then pass to your mapping to get the corresponding colors.

Thank you. This makes sense to use index with the class for mapping!

@ptrblck, turns out my masks weren’t binary images. So what I did was I changed the pixel value to class value wherever there was a non-zero value. Here 2 is one of the classes.

m2 = Image.open(m2_name)
m2 = np.asarray(m2)
m2 = np.where(m2>0, 2, m2)
m2_tensor = self.to_tensor(m2)

Is this a right approach ?

Hello @ptrblck, Thank you. I also faced the same problem and found your solution.
However, my code showing some creepy characters. Like, when I am writing this code,

def validation_step(self, batch, batch_nb):
         x, y = batch
        print(x.size())
        print(y.size())
        y_hat = self.forward(x)
        y = y.squeeze(axis = 1)
        print(y.size())

does not print and work for y = y.squeeze(axis = 1)

But, when I am changing a little bit, like, storing the value in another tensor it showed and worked.

y_label = y.squeeze(axis = 1)

Could you tell me, why the code is not working for the first one y = y.squeeze(axis = 1)?

I don’t know, why this should be the case.
Could you post an executable code snippet, which shows this behavior?

Thank you for your comment. I am not sure, what actually executable code snippet!

I gave a post regarding this issue in here.

Let me know your thoughts.

@ptrblck Hey! I am training UNET and I got the same error above. I tried your torch.squeeze(1) and it gave me another error IndexError: Target -2 is out of bounds. and its coming from my loss function. Here is my loss function and training step:

class LogNLLLoss(_WeightedLoss):
    _constants_ = ['weight', 'reduction', 'ignore_index']

def __init__(self, weight=None, size_average=None, reduce=None, reduction=None,
                 ignore_index=-100):
        super(LogNLLLoss, self).__init__(weight, size_average, reduce, reduction)
        self.ignore_index = ignore_index

def forward(self, y_input, y_target):
        y_input = torch.log(y_input + EPSILON)
        return cross_entropy(y_input, y_target, weight=self.weight,
                             ignore_index=self.ignore_index)

and the training function:

def train_epoch(self, dataloader, dice_loss):

self.net.train()

epoch_running_loss = 0

for batch_idx, (x_batch, y_batch) in enumerate(dataloader):

x_batch = x_batch.to(self.device)
            y_batch = y_batch.to(self.device)

self.optimizer.zero_grad()
            y_out = self.net(x_batch)
            print(y_out.shape)
            print(y_batch.shape)
            training_loss = self.loss(y_out, y_batch.squeeze(1))
            train_dice = dice_loss(y_out, y_batch)
            training_loss.backward()
            self.optimizer.step()

epoch_running_loss += training_loss.item()

return (epoch_running_loss/len(dataloader)), train_dice

Is there any way I can fix this error, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance

Based on the errors you are seeing I guess the y_batch.squeeze(1) operation might have returned a tensor in the right shape, but the tensor itself contains invalid indices (-2 in particular).
Assuming you are using F.cross_entropy, the target should contain indices in the range [0, nb_classes-1], so you would have to check why the -2 is there.

@ptrblck I have 2 classes which are white and black. Do you think it could be from that? Can I print out the shape of anything to check where this error is coming from?

You can print the shape anywhere in your code via print(tensor.shape) or print(tensor.size()).
I think the issue is that your target contains invalid values, while the shape might be alright.

Ah you are right, looks like some of my pixel were -2 so I had to fix that. I’m encountering an issue though, everything is working fine except for the dice loss. My dice loss is coming out as:

Step - 200 [Train Loss - 0.027800448606722056] [Dice Coeff - 0.9999991655349731]
Step - 400 [Train Loss - 0.018787917831214144] [Dice Coeff - 0.9999994039535522]
Step - 600 [Train Loss - 0.014162900804076345] [Dice Coeff - 0.9999995231628418]
Step - 800 [Train Loss - 0.0113546519659576] [Dice Coeff - 0.9999995827674866]
Step - 1000 [Train Loss - 0.009469814540469088] [Dice Coeff - 0.9999996423721313]
Step - 1200 [Train Loss - 0.008117731069796718] [Dice Coeff - 0.9999996423721313]
Step - 1400 [Train Loss - 0.007100731051427179] [Dice Coeff - 0.9999997019767761]

Which is weird, here is my dice loss implementation and train function:

class SoftDiceLoss(nn.Module):
    def __init__(self):
        super(SoftDiceLoss, self).__init__()

def forward(self, pred, target):
       smooth = 1.
       iflat = pred.contiguous().view(-1)
       tflat = target.contiguous().view(-1)
       intersection = (iflat * tflat).sum()
       A_sum = torch.sum(iflat * iflat)
       B_sum = torch.sum(tflat * tflat)
       return 1 - ((2. * intersection + smooth) / (A_sum + B_sum + smooth) )

def train_epoch(self, dataloader, dice_loss):

self.net.train()

epoch_running_loss = 0

for batch_idx, (x_batch, y_batch) in enumerate(dataloader):

x_batch = x_batch.to(self.device)
            y_batch = y_batch.to(self.device)

self.optimizer.zero_grad()
            y_out = self.net(x_batch)
            training_loss = self.loss(y_out, y_batch)
            train_dice = dice_loss(y_out, y_batch)
            training_loss.backward()
            self.optimizer.step()

if batch_idx % 200 == 0 and batch_idx != 0:

print(f"Step - {batch_idx} [Train Loss - {epoch_running_loss/batch_idx}] [Dice Coeff - {train_dice.item()}]")

epoch_running_loss += training_loss.item()

return (epoch_running_loss/len(dataloader)), train_dice

def train_unet(self, train_loader, val_loader, n_epochs, dice_metric):

min_loss = np.inf
        train_time = time.time()
        dice_metric = dice_metric.to(device)

logs = {}

for epoch in range(1, n_epochs+1):

train_loss, train_dice = self.train_epoch(train_loader, dice_metric)

#self.scheduler.step()

val_loss, val_dice = self.val_epoch(val_loader, dice_metric)

logs = {'epoch': epoch,
                    'time': epoch_end - train_start,
                    'train_loss': train_loss,
                    'validation_loss': val_loss,
                    'train_dice': trian_dice,
                    'validation_dice': val_dice
                    }

print("-" * 20)
            print(f"Epoch - {logs['epoch']} | Time Elapsed - {logs['time']} | Training Loss - {logs['train_loss']} | Train Dice Coeff - {logs['train_dice']}") 
            print(f"Validation Loss - {logs['validation_loss']} | Validation Dice - {logs['validation_dice']}")

If you could point me in the direction of what is wrong that would be great! Thanks so much.

In your LogNLLLoss class you are applying torch.log on mode output, while cross_entropy expects raw logits, so you might want to remove it.
Assuming the model outputs logits, I think you might also need to use F.softmax for the dice loss calculation, as this criterion uses the probabilities, if I’m not mistaken.

@ptrblck Sorry for the confusion but I am now using BCEWithLogitsLoss since I found it is better. I don’t run my output layer through an activation since BCEWithLogitsLoss applies a sigmoid. Do you think in the dice loss I should use pred = F.softmax(pred) in the first line of the forward pass in the SoftDiceLoss class? And what dimension should it be done on?

hi @ptrblck, sorry to add onto this thread but I’m an undergrad working on CV for the first time for my senior thesis and also ran into the original error in trying to run DeepLab. My images are in RGB format and I’m trying to do multiclass segmentation so I have 3 classes and my masks are pixels 0, 1, 2 (1 channel).

But even after reading in my images and doing target.squeeze(1) I still get this error:

File "/n/home07/michelewang/.conda/envs/active/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/nn/functional.py", line 2266, in nll_loss
    ret = torch._C._nn.nll_loss2d(input, target, weight, _Reduction.get_enum(reduction), ignore_index)
RuntimeError: 1only batches of spatial targets supported (3D tensors) but got targets of size: : [4, 513, 513, 3]

my image shape is [4, 3, 513, 513] and my output shape is [4, 513, 513, 3]. do you have any idea for how to resolve this?

Based on the error message it seems that the target shape is [4, 513, 513, 3] not the model output shape.
In any case: the model is supposed to output a tensor in the shape [batch_size, nb_classes, height, width] while the target should have the shape [batch_size, height, width] and contain the class indices in the range [0, nb_classes-1].
If your target has 3 channels, I guess that it might be a color image. In that case you would need to map the colors to the class indices first.

1 Like

Hi @ptrblck, thank you so much!! That was it – I should’ve reduced the colors to be a single RGB channel. One strange thing that happened was that my segmentation masks only have 3 values (0, 1, and 2 for each of my 3 classes) but when I read them in, the value 255 was also part of the masks. Have you ever encountered that before?

Your segmentation masks are supposed to have values in [0, 1, 2], if you are trying to predict 3 classes in the segmentation output, so this sounds correct.
The 255 values are most likely coming from the image format you are loading.
Are your segmentation masks currently color-encoded? I.e. is e.g. the color “red” referring to class0, “blue” to class1 etc.?
If so, then note that these color encoded masks will have 3 channels (RGB) and will use the standard uint8 value range.
Red would thus be [255, 0, 0], Blue [0, 0, 255] etc. and you would need to map these colors to the class labels first. This post gives an example how this mapping could be applied.

1 Like

Ah okay, this is so helpful. Thank you so much @ptrblck!!