Pack_padded_sequence with multiple GPUs

I’ve been doing a lot of research (googling, stackoverflow, forums, etc.) on using the pack_padded_sequence method with multiple GPUs but I can’t seem to find a solution. I ooked at this:

https://pytorch.org/docs/stable/notes/faq.html#pack-rnn-unpack-with-data-parallelism

but it doesn’t seem to be helpful.

Here is the stacktrace:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "train.py", line 166, in <module>
    main(args)
  File "train.py", line 78, in main
    outputs = decoder(features, captions, lengths)
  File "/home/jeff/.pyenv/versions/pytorch_tut/lib/python3.6/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/module.py", line 491, in __call__
    result = self.forward(*input, **kwargs)
  File "/home/jeff/.pyenv/versions/pytorch_tut/lib/python3.6/site-packages/torch/nn/parallel/data_parallel.py", line 114, in forward
    outputs = self.parallel_apply(replicas, inputs, kwargs)
  File "/home/jeff/.pyenv/versions/pytorch_tut/lib/python3.6/site-packages/torch/nn/parallel/data_parallel.py", line 124, in parallel_apply
    return parallel_apply(replicas, inputs, kwargs, self.device_ids[:len(replicas)])
  File "/home/jeff/.pyenv/versions/pytorch_tut/lib/python3.6/site-packages/torch/nn/parallel/parallel_apply.py", line 65, in parallel_apply
    raise output
  File "/home/jeff/.pyenv/versions/pytorch_tut/lib/python3.6/site-packages/torch/nn/parallel/parallel_apply.py", line 41, in _worker
    output = module(*input, **kwargs)
  File "/home/jeff/.pyenv/versions/pytorch_tut/lib/python3.6/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/module.py", line 491, in __call__
    result = self.forward(*input, **kwargs)
  File "/home/jeff/projects/python/pytorch/base_img_caption_model/model.py", line 42, in forward
    packed = pack_padded_sequence(embeddings, lengths, batch_first=True) 
  File "/home/jeff/.pyenv/versions/pytorch_tut/lib/python3.6/site-packages/torch/onnx/__init__.py", line 57, in wrapper
    return fn(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/home/jeff/.pyenv/versions/pytorch_tut/lib/python3.6/site-packages/torch/nn/utils/rnn.py", line 124, in pack_padded_sequence
    data, batch_sizes = PackPadded.apply(input, lengths, batch_first)
  File "/home/jeff/.pyenv/versions/pytorch_tut/lib/python3.6/site-packages/torch/nn/_functions/packing.py", line 25, in forward
    "{} (batch_size={}).".format(len(lengths), batch_size))
ValueError: Expected `len(lengths)` to be equal to batch_size, but got 512 (batch_size=256).

Code in training loop:

encoder = EncoderCNN(args.embed_size)
decoder = DecoderRNN(args.embed_size, args.hidden_size, len(vocab), args.num_layers)

if torch.cuda.device_count() > 1:
    encoder = nn.DataParallel(encoder)
    decoder = nn.DataParallel(decoder)

encoder.to(device)
decoder.to(device)

Code in model:

def forward(self, features, captions, lengths):
    """Decode image feature vectors and generates captions."""
    embeddings = self.embed(captions)
    embeddings = torch.cat((features.unsqueeze(1), embeddings), 1)
    hiddens, _ = self.lstm(packed)
    outputs = self.linear(hiddens[0])
    return outputs

The culprit is this line here:

nn.DataParallel is splitting the batch to equal sizes on both GPUs (batch of 256 on each GPU) but the lengths array remains at 512 which is the cause of the error. Is there a way to split the lengths array to separate batches to send to each GPU or is there another way to approach this situation to make it easier?

I saw this snippet of code from another post throwing the same error, and perhaps someone could use it as a sample to help debug:

import numpy as np
import torch
from torch.autograd import Variable

class RNNDataParallel(torch.nn.Module):
    def __init__(self):
        super(RNNDataParallel, self).__init__()

def forward(self, inputs, lengths):
        packed = torch.nn.utils.rnn.pack_padded_sequence(inputs, lengths, batch_first=True)
        return packed

model = RNNDataParallel()
model = torch.nn.DataParallel(model)
model = model.cuda()

inputs = Variable(torch.from_numpy(np.array([
    [1, 2, 3],
    [4, 5, 0],
])))
lengths = [3, 2]

packed = model(inputs, lengths)

print(packed)

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

i have same problem in this ,did you fix it?

solve it? I am in image caption task.

I had the same problem and fixed it this way: All numerical values passed to the forward function of the module should be tensors. (to get distributed properly among GPUs)
Your code should work if you wrap ‘lengths = [3,2]’ as a tensor: ‘lengths = torch.tensor([3,2])’

Hope this helps!

The problem is I’m using an encode method that takes a list of strings and you can’t create a tensor to send to a GPU from a numpy array of strings.