ParameterList and list of buffers in the same module

I want to have a Module that is parametrized by a list of tensors. In the situation, when this Module is a “leaf” module in the pipeline (i.e. its parameters are trainable parameters), then it’s pretty simple: I just have to use ParameterList to store its parameters.

The question is, what should I do, if it’s not a “leaf” module, i.e. I somehow constructing it’s parameter tensors and only after that instantiating the module.

Consider this toy example: I want to encapsulate a rang-1 matrix decomposition:

class Rang1Matrix(nn.Module):
    def __init__(self, vectors):
        super().__init__()
        self.vectors = vectors

def forward(self):
        return  t.matmul(self.vectors[0], self.vectors[1])

In this block of code, if I want to create a module with trainable parameters, then I just have to pass ParameterList as a “vectors” argument. But what should I do, if I already have tensors “vector”, through which I want autodifferentiate?

In particular, I want Rang1Matrix to fully support functions like .cuda(), .cpu(), .to(), etc.

Hi,

You want gradients to flow back all the way to the vectors that were given as input to the __init__ function?
If so, your code will work fine.
But if you want it to work with .to()-like functions, it is harder. Because then you want these to be done in a differentiable manner, which they don’t really do. And this will create part of the graph that will be re-used between forward passes and that can cause your backward to fail because some buffers have been freed.