Placing modified regions of interest in the orginal location

Lets say i have an CNN intermediate layer output tensor call it X with shape (B,C,H,W) batch, channels, height and width. I extract the regions of interest (ROIs) from the tensor based on some manually chosen criteria. Assume all the ROIs have same shape (B,N,C,h,w). N is number of ROIS, h is height, and w is width of ROI respectively. Lets call the ROI tensor Y. Now i perform an operation on Y (assume convolution), this operation does not alter the dimension or shape of the ROIs. Lets call the modified ROI tensor as Y’(shape: B,N,C,h,w).

Now i want to replace the locations where Y are extracted from X with Y’. This modified X is further processed in the subsequent layers of the model. So essentially if i do the following things
Y = X[location criteria]
Y’ = some_operation(Y)
X[location criteria] = Y’

Will i be able to train the model without any issues if i do the above?

Loosely speaking,. I think:

• the location_criteria indexer is not trainable – but you said that’s “manual” so you probably expected this
  • if some_operation is some differentiable function that torch knows how to compute gradients for, the model should train all the way through
  • if some_operation isn’t differentiable, then Y will not contribute to the training of upstream parameters, so training won’t work as you may expect it to