Python 2.7 -- Torch 1.4.0 -- Cuda 10.1 -- cublas runtime error

Hello,
Running the following code:

import torch
import torch.nn.functional as F

theta = torch.Tensor([[[1, 1, 1], [1, 1, 1]]]).cuda()
F.affine_grid(theta, torch.Size((1, 3, 2, 2)))

gives me the error:

File “/home/toni/PycharmProjects/testingGPU/venv/lib/python2.7/site-packages/torch/nn/functional.py”, line 2799, in affine_grid
return torch.affine_grid_generator(theta, size, align_corners)
RuntimeError: cublas runtime error : the GPU program failed to execute at /pytorch/aten/src/THC/THCBlas.cu:368

I have checked all the compatibility issues and I believe there is the right match between:
Python 2.7 – Torch 1.4.0 – Torchvision 0.5.0 – CUDA 10.1 – Ubuntu 18.04 (and I would like to keep using python2.7 for the current project)

I am trying to run it on RTX 3060, driver version 515.48.07

I’ve looked on many repositories and forums, but I could not find a solution (while keeping the PyTorch recommended configuration with torch 1.4.0, CUDA 10.1)

Your Ampere GPU needs CUDA 11, so your CUDA 10.1 runtime with this old PyTorch version won’t work.
Also, Python 2.7 is EOL so I would strongly recommend to the latest stable or nighlty release with the CUDA 11.6 runtime.

nvidia-smi actually shows the version 11.7, but I installed the toolkit 10.1 (being the last one that supported python 2.7) because I thought there was a backward compatibility and could run toolkit 10.x with drivers for 11.x.

But thank you, my search is done…i ll try upgrading everything in the project to python 3 since there is no support for python2 in the 11.x cuda toolkit versions.

Should my 11.7 cuda version work with cuda toolkit 11.6 or 11.3?

Yes, your driver should be compatible with both CUDA runtimes shipped in the PyTorch binary.