Pytorch crashing while trying to iterate through a loaded training set

I am using the code:

import torch
import torchvision
import torchvision.transforms as transforms

transform = transforms.Compose(
    [transforms.ToTensor(),
     transforms.Normalize((0.5, 0.5, 0.5), (0.5, 0.5, 0.5))])

trainset = torchvision.datasets.CIFAR10(root='./data', train=True,
                                        download=True, transform=transform)

trainloader = torch.utils.data.DataLoader(trainset, batch_size=4,
                                          shuffle=True, num_workers=2);

dataiterator = iter(trainloader)

However once the program reaches the line:
dataiterator = iter(trainloader)
It crashes and asks me twice whether I want to kill the python program(Like I pressed the close window button). The program is then unable to continue and hangs, this problem still persists after changing the:
iter()
to a for loop:
for image, label in trainloader
It always crashes the program. Additionally every time it asks to close it leaves a python3 program running in the background and they each use about 350MB. I am using linux mint 18.1 with a lenovo thinkpad x230. Has anybody come across this error before?

What do you mean by “the program crashes” exactly?

You may want to change num_workers=1, this may solve your issue.

The error shown below keeps popping up whenever I run the program.

The num_workers=1 Didn’t work

Tried it on another computer running ubuntu 16.04 and the same issue occurs. It crashes when reaching the trainloader.

After some trial and error, removing the line num_workers completely fixes the issue. Does anybody know what the significance of removing this line is? Looking online it seems to be related to memory, I have 16GB of RAM and python doesn’t consume very much when running the program. It seems to be similar to this issue https://github.com/pytorch/pytorch/issues/1355

1 Like

In my case,
this problem occurred with pyTorch v1.0 as per the latest release, but degrading and installing the version to v0.4.0, solved for me.
Thanks!

Thank you. This solved my similar issue where the execution would just hang when calling iter().
Changing ‘num_workers’ to 1 had no affect.
I’m using PyTorch 1.4.0 on Ubuntu 16.04.