A question about a=a+b?

Hello , everyone , when I want implement this statement a=a+b ,I know it could be backward.

But if I want to implement this statement a[5]=a[5]+b[3] , I know this action trigger a
inplace operation because of a is a array ,and it can not be backwardin pytorch 1.2.0 , it’s memeroy has been changed I think .

And this action seems can be done in pytorch 1.1.0 but not in pytorch 1.2.0 . But if I want to implement like that , what should I write ?
Thanks for you reply and help.

Below is my wrong log .

RuntimeError: one of the variables needed for gradient computation has been modified by an inplace operation: [torch.cuda.FloatTensor [212, 256, 7, 7]], which is output 0 of IndexPutBackward, is at version 3; expected version 2 instead. Hint: enable anomaly detection to find the operation that failed to compute its gradient, with torch.autograd.set_detect_anomaly(True).

Hi,

Please see below posts:

Bests
Nik

@Nikronic Thanks for your help , friend .I solve it .

After reading your posts and pytorch doc about torch.clone() ,

clone() → Tensor 
Returns a copy of the self tensor. The copy has the same size and data type as self.

NOTE

Unlike copy_(), this function is recorded in the computation graph. Gradients propagating to the cloned tensor will propagate to the original tensor.

I changed my code to this , and it could been backward well.

c=a.clone()
c[5] = a[5]+b[3]
loss=  m-c
loss.backward()

emmmmmmmmm if there is a function in tensor I can do it directly it will be very convenient .

a[5].operation(torch.add , a[5] , b[3])
a[5].operation(torch.mm , a[5] , b[3])

And  function  `operation`  will   create  a   new   memory  to  a[5]  but  not  change  its  original  memory . So  it  could  be   backward .

Anyway , thanks for your help .

1 Like