Removing models from GPU in loop

Hello, I am currently trying to progressively “widen” my network in a loop. The reason I am using the loop is because I want to compare some properties of the output as I increase the size. I can’t think of anything simpler than the following. I create a network with width that can be configured from the beginning

class onelayerNet(nn.Module):
    def __init__(self,scale):
        super(onelayerNet, self).__init__()
        self.fc1 = nn.Linear(10, 10*scale)

def forward(self, x):
        x = F.relu(self.fc1(x))
        return x

And then have the following loop

Net = {}
for i in range(iters):
    with torch.no_grad():
        scale=10*(i+1)
        Net[i] = onelayerNet(scale=scale)

if i>0: #copy weights
            index =10*10*i #get shape of previous network
            Net[i].fc1.weight[0:index,:] = Net[i-1].fc1.weight[:,:] #copy weights

Net[i].to(device)
        output = Net[i].forward(images);

# do some stuff to the output

However, I can’t find anyway to remove the previous models from the GPU (as well as intermediate variables that change on each iteration like ‘output’). I’ve tried using del Net[i-1] after copying it’s weights but this doesn’t get removed from the GPU. I’ve tried ’ Net[i].to(‘cpu’)’ after computing the output, however this doesn’t help either.

Is there a smarter way to do this such that I won’t run into this issue? If not, is there a way I can remove unnecessary things from the GPU after they are used?

If you delete the model and no other references are pointing to it, it will be freed.
Note that PyTorch uses a custom memory caching allocator, to avoid multiple memory allocations.
nvidia-smi will thus still show the GPU memory as used by PyTorch.

I would recommend to .clone() the parameters just to make sure these parameters are not referencing each other.