[resolved] Different outputs for the same inputs with loaded model

I’ve adopted this PyTorch Tutorial to experiment with using it for Named Entity Recognition (NER). It trains just fine and saves the model in a file. Now I want to copy and load this model file on a different machine. In principle, no problems as far as I can see.

My problem is now that I often get different results for the same input (a) every time a load the model again, and (b) even when the model is loaded once and I give it the identical input. Particularly (b) worries me.

I tried to search online for the problem. Here are some things I’ve tried:

• I don’t have any dropout layer, so I cannot see any point where there is randomization involved
  • After loading the model, I do a model.eval() just to be sure
  • I’ve set torch.manual_seed(0)
  • Right now, I use a CPU machine only, so there shouldn’t be any GPU/CPU issues

Another thing I’ve tried: When - directly once the training routine is done - (1) I give the network some test data, (2) save the network, (3) re-initialize the network, (4) load the model, (5) give the network the same test data, then everything looks consistent. Only when I load the model “outside” the training, I get these different results for the same input.

At the moment, I’m test with rather small datasets, so the results are not very accurate. Still, I would assume the same output for the same input. What am I missing here?

Found the problem. Short answer: My stupidity.

Long answer: I did have randomness just not in the network but in the data preparation step. After loading the data into array, I first shuffled it before splitting it in training and test data. The problem here is that each time the word-to-index mapping is different. Thus before loading the state, I initialized the model each time with a different word-to-index mapping.

I now used a shuffled dataset file and skip the shuffling during the data preparation step. Now all is consistent.

2 Likes