RuntimeError: each element in list of batch should be of equal size | Image Caption Generator | Kaggle

I am building an Image Caption Generator using the Flickr30k dataset on Kaggle, and am getting this message.

Here are the Dataset and DataLoader classes. Can someone help me how to fix this ?

class ImageCaptionDataset(Dataset):
    def __init__(self, data, word_dict, transform=None):
        self.data = data
        self.word_dict = word_dict
        if transform != None:
            self.transform = transform
        else:
            self.transform = transforms.Compose([transforms.ToTensor()])
    def __len__(self):
        return len(self.data)
    def __getitem__(self, idx):
        img_address = os.path.join('../input/flickr-image-dataset/flickr30k_images/flickr30k_images/', self.data['image_name'][idx])
        img = Image.open(img_address)
        img = self.transform(img)
        img = img.numpy().astype('float32')
        answer = str(self.data[' comment'][idx]).translate(str.maketrans('', '', string.punctuation)).split()
        label = [self.word_dict[word.lower()] for word in answer]
        return img, label
transform = transforms.Compose([
            transforms.Resize((256, 256)),
            transforms.CenterCrop(224),
            transforms.RandomHorizontalFlip(),
            transforms.ToTensor()
        ])

tempdb = ImageCaptionDataset(full_data, word_dict, transform)
print('Dataset Size: ',len(tempdb))

imageCaptionLoader = DataLoader(tempdb, batch_size = 16, shuffle = True)
print('Loader Size: ', len(imageCaptionLoader))

next(iter(imageCaptionLoader))

Here is the stack trace:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
RuntimeError                              Traceback (most recent call last)
<ipython-input-7-afc3a3f8cb3d> in <module>
     12 print('Loader Size: ', len(imageCaptionLoader))
---> 14 next(iter(imageCaptionLoader))

/opt/conda/lib/python3.7/site-packages/torch/utils/data/dataloader.py in __next__(self)
    362     def __next__(self):
--> 363         data = self._next_data()
    364         self._num_yielded += 1
    365         if self._dataset_kind == _DatasetKind.Iterable and \

/opt/conda/lib/python3.7/site-packages/torch/utils/data/dataloader.py in _next_data(self)
    401     def _next_data(self):
    402         index = self._next_index()  # may raise StopIteration
--> 403         data = self._dataset_fetcher.fetch(index)  # may raise StopIteration
    404         if self._pin_memory:
    405             data = _utils.pin_memory.pin_memory(data)

/opt/conda/lib/python3.7/site-packages/torch/utils/data/_utils/fetch.py in fetch(self, possibly_batched_index)
     45         else:
     46             data = self.dataset[possibly_batched_index]
---> 47         return self.collate_fn(data)

/opt/conda/lib/python3.7/site-packages/torch/utils/data/_utils/collate.py in default_collate(batch)
     82             raise RuntimeError('each element in list of batch should be of equal size')
     83         transposed = zip(*batch)
---> 84         return [default_collate(samples) for samples in transposed]
     86     raise TypeError(default_collate_err_msg_format.format(elem_type))

/opt/conda/lib/python3.7/site-packages/torch/utils/data/_utils/collate.py in <listcomp>(.0)
     82             raise RuntimeError('each element in list of batch should be of equal size')
---> 84         return [default_collate(samples) for samples in transposed]
     86     raise TypeError(default_collate_err_msg_format.format(elem_type))

/opt/conda/lib/python3.7/site-packages/torch/utils/data/_utils/collate.py in default_collate(batch)
     80         elem_size = len(next(it))
     81         if not all(len(elem) == elem_size for elem in it):
---> 82             raise RuntimeError('each element in list of batch should be of equal size')
     84         return [default_collate(samples) for samples in transposed]

RuntimeError: each element in list of batch should be of equal size

Could you check the shape of the img and label in the dataset and make sure they have the same size? Based on your posted code and the error message, I guess that label might have different lengths, so you might need to pad this target tensor to the largest length in the batch.

1 Like

Ummm yes, label doesn’t have a fixed size everytime. It is an encoded version of the caption for the image. So should I make all of them the same size first ?

It depends how you would like to handle the targets during training.
You could use a custom collate_fn as a fix for this particular error in the DataLoader and return a list, which contains targets of different sizes.
However, I guess you would need to use a valid batch to calculate the loss during training, so you could e.g. use pad_sequence or another valid approach.

Hello, I have the same error and every feature set and label of my dataset has the same size. Should I apply the same solution? The one with collate_fn?

No, you should not have to use a custom collate function if all samples have the same shape and I would recommend to try to narrow down where the issue is coming from.
E.g. print the shape of each sample in the Dataset.__getitem__ and check if they have indeed the same shape or if some of them are different.

1 Like

Thank you for your answer. I have found the error to be mine. The labels had indeed different sizes and they should only be an integer in my implementation. Problem solved :+1:

I don’t know why you always give the valuable answer. I am jealous.