RuntimeError: Expected object of scalar type double but got scalar type float for sequence element 1 (batch_size and num_workers problem)

I am trying to run a training with 3D patches of shape [1, 112, 112, 192] and I have been trying several combinations of batch_size and num_workers. According to my experience with this dataset and a very similar network, I reckon a batch_size=2 should work memory-wise with the GPU I am using (NVIDIA P100 16GB). CPU-wise, I am using a 2-core Intel Xeon CPU @ 2.30GHz with 27GB RAM. I do not fully understand how num_workers works, but if I go too high I get a recurrent error in these online forums, something like:

Epoch: 0
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/torch/utils/data/dataloader.py", line 761, in _try_get_data
    data = self._data_queue.get(timeout=timeout)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/queue.py", line 173, in get
    self.not_empty.wait(remaining)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/threading.py", line 299, in wait
    gotit = waiter.acquire(True, timeout)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/torch/utils/data/_utils/signal_handling.py", line 66, in handler
    _error_if_any_worker_fails()
RuntimeError: DataLoader worker (pid 1476) is killed by signal: Killed. 

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "sv_unet/main.py", line 246, in <module>
    training(unet, train_loader, valid_loader, epochs=epochs, batch_size=BATCH_SIZE, device=device, fold_dir=fold_dir, restore=RESTORE)
  File "/content/drive/My Drive/TFM/monai_unet/sv_unet/training.py", line 119, in training
    for batch in train_loader:
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/torch/utils/data/dataloader.py", line 345, in __next__
    data = self._next_data()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/torch/utils/data/dataloader.py", line 841, in _next_data
    idx, data = self._get_data()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/torch/utils/data/dataloader.py", line 798, in _get_data
    success, data = self._try_get_data()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/torch/utils/data/dataloader.py", line 774, in _try_get_data
    raise RuntimeError('DataLoader worker (pid(s) {}) exited unexpectedly'.format(pids_str))
RuntimeError: DataLoader worker (pid(s) 1472, 1474, 1476, 1478) exited unexpectedly

I read that this should be fixed if I lower num_workers enough, which I have. But the I get this kind of error:

Batch 0
Batch 1
Batch 2
Batch 3
Batch 4
Batch 5
    training(unet, train_loader, valid_loader, epochs=epochs, batch_size=BATCH_SIZE, device=device, fold_dir=fold_dir, restore=RESTORE)
  File "/content/drive/My Drive/TFM/monai_unet/sv_unet/training.py", line 119, in training
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/torch/utils/data/dataloader.py", line 345, in __next__
    data = self._next_data()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/torch/utils/data/dataloader.py", line 856, in _next_data
    return self._process_data(data)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/torch/utils/data/dataloader.py", line 881, in _process_data
    data.reraise()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/torch/_utils.py", line 395, in reraise
    raise self.exc_type(msg)
RuntimeError: Caught RuntimeError in DataLoader worker process 0.
Original Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/torch/utils/data/_utils/worker.py", line 178, in _worker_loop
    data = fetcher.fetch(index)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/torch/utils/data/_utils/fetch.py", line 47, in fetch
    return self.collate_fn(data)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/torch/utils/data/_utils/collate.py", line 79, in default_collate
    return [default_collate(samples) for samples in transposed]
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/torch/utils/data/_utils/collate.py", line 79, in <listcomp>
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/torch/utils/data/_utils/collate.py", line 55, in default_collate
    return torch.stack(batch, 0, out=out)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/apex/amp/wrap.py", line 89, in wrapper
    return orig_fn(seq, *args, **kwargs)
RuntimeError: Expected object of scalar type double but got scalar type float for sequence element 1.

Which I do not understand and have not found how to fix. I have tried every num_workers from 0 to 4. Notice how in this last case (I believe I used num_workers=2 here) it does some batches and then crashes. Any ideas on what is going on and how to have it working with a batch_size=2?

With num_workers=0, I get:

Batch 0
Batch 1
Batch 2
    data = self._next_data()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/torch/utils/data/dataloader.py", line 385, in _next_data
    data = self._dataset_fetcher.fetch(index)  # may raise StopIteration
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/torch/utils/data/_utils/fetch.py", line 47, in fetch
    return self.collate_fn(data)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/torch/utils/data/_utils/collate.py", line 79, in default_collate
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/torch/utils/data/_utils/collate.py", line 79, in <listcomp>
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/torch/utils/data/_utils/collate.py", line 55, in default_collate
    return torch.stack(batch, 0, out=out)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/apex/amp/wrap.py", line 89, in wrapper
    return orig_fn(seq, *args, **kwargs)
RuntimeError: Expected object of scalar type double but got scalar type float for sequence element 1.

The failure using multiple workers is caused by the dtype mismatch.
It seems that some of your tensors are DoubleTensors, while FloatTensors are expected.

Could you explain your use case a bit and how you’ve loaded the data?
This error might be raised, if you’ve loaded the data using numpy without transforming it to float32, as numpy uses float64 by default.

Thank you for your answer, I ended up solving it and, as you say, it was a matter of passing the tensors to DoubleTensor. The problem was that I thought they were already, but do to an intermediate function they weren’t. I found a good combination of batch_size and num_workers in the end. Thank you!