RuntimeError: Function ViewBackward returned an invalid gradient at index 0

Hi,

I am having an error that I have not seen before. It occurs during the backward() call:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/injaureg/Data/Desktop/py36_jttl/lib64/python3.6/site-packages/pytorch_lightning/trainer/trainer.py", line 1045, in _run_train
    self.fit_loop.run()
  File "/home/injaureg/Data/Desktop/py36_jttl/lib64/python3.6/site-packages/pytorch_lightning/loops/base.py", line 111, in run
    self.advance(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/home/injaureg/Data/Desktop/py36_jttl/lib64/python3.6/site-packages/pytorch_lightning/loops/fit_loop.py", line 200, in advance
    epoch_output = self.epoch_loop.run(train_dataloader)
  File "/home/injaureg/Data/Desktop/py36_jttl/lib64/python3.6/site-packages/pytorch_lightning/loops/base.py", line 111, in run
  File "/home/injaureg/Data/Desktop/py36_jttl/lib64/python3.6/site-packages/pytorch_lightning/loops/epoch/training_epoch_loop.py", line 131, in advance
    batch_output = self.batch_loop.run(batch, self.iteration_count, self._dataloader_idx)
  File "/home/injaureg/Data/Desktop/py36_jttl/lib64/python3.6/site-packages/pytorch_lightning/loops/batch/training_batch_loop.py", line 100, in run
    super().run(batch, batch_idx, dataloader_idx)
  File "/home/injaureg/Data/Desktop/py36_jttl/lib64/python3.6/site-packages/pytorch_lightning/loops/batch/training_batch_loop.py", line 147, in advance
    result = self._run_optimization(batch_idx, split_batch, opt_idx, optimizer)
  File "/home/injaureg/Data/Desktop/py36_jttl/lib64/python3.6/site-packages/pytorch_lightning/loops/batch/training_batch_loop.py", line 201, in _run_optimization
    self._optimizer_step(optimizer, opt_idx, batch_idx, closure)
  File "/home/injaureg/Data/Desktop/py36_jttl/lib64/python3.6/site-packages/pytorch_lightning/loops/batch/training_batch_loop.py", line 402, in _optimizer_step
    using_lbfgs=is_lbfgs,
  File "/home/injaureg/Data/Desktop/py36_jttl/lib64/python3.6/site-packages/pytorch_lightning/core/lightning.py", line 1593, in optimizer_step
    optimizer.step(closure=optimizer_closure)
  File "/home/injaureg/Data/Desktop/py36_jttl/lib64/python3.6/site-packages/pytorch_lightning/core/optimizer.py", line 209, in step
    self.__optimizer_step(*args, closure=closure, profiler_name=profiler_name, **kwargs)
  File "/home/injaureg/Data/Desktop/py36_jttl/lib64/python3.6/site-packages/pytorch_lightning/core/optimizer.py", line 129, in __optimizer_step
    trainer.accelerator.optimizer_step(optimizer, self._optimizer_idx, lambda_closure=closure, **kwargs)
  File "/home/injaureg/Data/Desktop/py36_jttl/lib64/python3.6/site-packages/pytorch_lightning/accelerators/accelerator.py", line 296, in optimizer_step
    self.run_optimizer_step(optimizer, opt_idx, lambda_closure, **kwargs)
  File "/home/injaureg/Data/Desktop/py36_jttl/lib64/python3.6/site-packages/pytorch_lightning/accelerators/accelerator.py", line 303, in run_optimizer_step
    self.training_type_plugin.optimizer_step(optimizer, lambda_closure=lambda_closure, **kwargs)
  File "/home/injaureg/Data/Desktop/py36_jttl/lib64/python3.6/site-packages/pytorch_lightning/plugins/training_type/training_type_plugin.py", line 226, in optimizer_step
    optimizer.step(closure=lambda_closure, **kwargs)
  File "/home/injaureg/Data/Desktop/py36_jttl/lib64/python3.6/site-packages/torch/optim/lr_scheduler.py", line 65, in wrapper
    return wrapped(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/home/injaureg/Data/Desktop/py36_jttl/lib64/python3.6/site-packages/torch/optim/optimizer.py", line 88, in wrapper
    return func(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/home/injaureg/Data/Desktop/py36_jttl/lib64/python3.6/site-packages/torch/autograd/grad_mode.py", line 28, in decorate_context
    return func(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/home/injaureg/Data/Desktop/py36_jttl/lib64/python3.6/site-packages/torch/optim/adam.py", line 66, in step
    loss = closure()
  File "/home/injaureg/Data/Desktop/py36_jttl/lib64/python3.6/site-packages/pytorch_lightning/loops/batch/training_batch_loop.py", line 235, in _training_step_and_backward_closure
    result = self.training_step_and_backward(split_batch, batch_idx, opt_idx, optimizer, hiddens)
  File "/home/injaureg/Data/Desktop/py36_jttl/lib64/python3.6/site-packages/pytorch_lightning/loops/batch/training_batch_loop.py", line 545, in training_step_and_backward
    self.backward(result, optimizer, opt_idx)
  File "/home/injaureg/Data/Desktop/py36_jttl/lib64/python3.6/site-packages/pytorch_lightning/loops/batch/training_batch_loop.py", line 586, in backward
    result.closure_loss = self.trainer.accelerator.backward(result.closure_loss, optimizer, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/home/injaureg/Data/Desktop/py36_jttl/lib64/python3.6/site-packages/pytorch_lightning/accelerators/accelerator.py", line 276, in backward
    self.precision_plugin.backward(self.lightning_module, closure_loss, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/home/injaureg/Data/Desktop/py36_jttl/lib64/python3.6/site-packages/pytorch_lightning/plugins/precision/precision_plugin.py", line 78, in backward
    model.backward(closure_loss, optimizer, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/home/injaureg/Data/Desktop/py36_jttl/lib64/python3.6/site-packages/pytorch_lightning/core/lightning.py", line 1465, in backward
    loss.backward(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/home/injaureg/Data/Desktop/py36_jttl/lib64/python3.6/site-packages/torch/_tensor.py", line 255, in backward
    torch.autograd.backward(self, gradient, retain_graph, create_graph, inputs=inputs)
  File "/home/injaureg/Data/Desktop/py36_jttl/lib64/python3.6/site-packages/torch/autograd/__init__.py", line 149, in backward
    allow_unreachable=True, accumulate_grad=True)  # allow_unreachable flag
RuntimeError: Function ViewBackward returned an invalid gradient at index 0 - expected type TensorOptions(dtype=float, device=cuda:0, layout=Strided, requires_grad=false (default), pinned_memory=false (default), memory_format=(nullopt)) but got TensorOptions(dtype=float, device=cpu, layout=Strided, requires_grad=false (default), pinned_memory=false (default), memory_format=(nullopt))

It seems that I have some gradients on GPU and others in the CPU. The forward pass works well and if I train the model on CPU there is no error either. I have checked carefully the device of all the tensors involved in the forward pass, and it seems they are all correctly on GPU (when GPU is selected).

I was wondering if someone could give me a clue on what I am missing here. Is there a particular torch operation that “silently” occurs in CPU instead of GPU? Is there a way to better debug this error? The message above doesn’t indicate which variable is in CPU during the backward pass.

Thank you in advance!

PyTorch should not change the device of any tensors behind your back. Could you post a minimal, executable PyTorch code snippet, which would reproduce the issue, so that we could debug it?

Thanks for your quick reply ptrblck!

It took me some time but I found the error, one of my tensors was in CPU (decoder_start_token_embed). I was inserting that tensor into another one which was in GPU:

shifted_inputs_embeds[:, 0, :] = decoder_start_token_embed

The error message on the backward pass didn’t shed much light on what that tensor would be. It would be great to have a better way to debug such errors.

Yes, I agree that the error message was confusing and I would have assumed to see an error in the forward pass. In case you can provide a minimal code snippet with your error, it would be helpful to check why the error wasn’t triggered in the forward.