RuntimeError: one of the variables needed for gradient computation has been modified by an inplace operation: PyTorch error

I am trying to run some code in PyTorch but I am got stacked at that point:

At first iteration, both backward operations, for Discriminator and Generator are running well

self.G_loss.backward(retain_graph=True)

self.D_loss.backward()

At the second iteration, when self.G_loss.backward(retain_graph=True) executes i got this error:

RuntimeError: one of the variables needed for gradient computation has been modified by an inplace operation: [torch.cuda.FloatTensor [8192, 512]] is at version 2; expected version 1 instead. Hint: the backtrace further above shows the operation that failed to compute its gradient. The variable in question was changed in there or anywhere later. Good luck!

According to torch.autograd.set_detect_anomaly, the last of the following lines in the Discriminator network, is responsible for this:

bottleneck = bottleneck[:-1]
    self.embedding = x.view(x.size(0), -1)
    self.logit = self.layers[-1](self.embedding)

The strange thing is that I have used that network architecture in other code and worked properly. Any suggestion?

the full error:

>   site-packages\torch\autograd\__init__.py", line 127, in backward
    allow_unreachable=True)  # allow_unreachable flag
RuntimeError: one of the variables needed for gradient computation has been modified by an inplace operation: [torch.cuda.FloatTensor [8192, 512]] is at version 2; expected version 1 instead. Hint: the backtrace further above shows the operation that failed to compute its gradient. The variable in question was changed in there or anywhere later. Good luck!

It’s unclear what exactly is causing this error, since you haven’t posted a code snippet to reproduce this issue.
However, based on the description and since you are using a GAN, you might be facing a similar issue as described here.