Segfault when using dataloader, custom dataset and from_blob

I have this (to the best of my knowledge) minimal example that segfaults when using a data_loader if I use from_blob to create a tensor for my custom dataset but it works fine if I just use something like torch::empty:

#include <iostream>
#include <torch/torch.h>
#include <vector>

#define USE_FROM_BLOB

struct MyDataset : public torch::data::datasets::Dataset<MyDataset>
{
    MyDataset()
    {

std::vector<std::array<float, 60>> v1(1000);

#ifdef USE_FROM_BLOB
        m_data =torch::from_blob(v1.data(), {(int)v1.size(), (int)v1[0].size()});
#else
        m_data = torch::empty({(int)v1.size(), (int)v1[0].size()});
#endif
        std::cout << "Here it works: " << m_data[123][0].item<float>() << std::endl;
    }

torch::data::Example<> get([[maybe_unused]] size_t index) override
    { 

#ifdef USE_FROM_BLOB
        std::cout << "Here it doesn't: " << std::flush;
#else
        std::cout << "Here it works as well: " << std::flush;
#endif
        std::cout << m_data[123][0].item<float>() << ", see?" << std::endl;

return {m_data[123], m_data[123]};        
    }

c10::optional<size_t> size() const override { return m_data.sizes()[0]; }

private:
    torch::Tensor m_data;
};

int main()
{
    auto data_loader = torch::data::make_data_loader(MyDataset());

for (auto& batch : *data_loader)
    {
        std::cout << batch.size() << std::endl;
        break;
    }

return 0;
}

Output when USE_FROM_BLOB is defined:

Here it works: 0
Here it doesn't: Segmentation fault (core dumped)

If it isn’t defined:

Here it works: 0
Here it works as well: 0, see?

Why is that and/or how can I fix this? I could just use torch::empty and then fill the tensor manually each element at a time, but it is really slow, compared to the from_blob.

Hi,

When you call from_blob, you tell the Tensor to use this content in memory but the Tensor does not “own” the memory!
So it is your responsability to make sure that this memory is kept allocated as long as the Tensor lives.

In your case, when you exit the scope, the std::vector is destructed and the memory is freed, hence later access to the Tensor with segfault.
Note that resizing the std::vector could also lead to similar issues if the underlying storage is re-allocated.

1 Like

Great, that works and makes sense!
Is there also a similar function that copies the data into the tensor, so that I don’t have to keep the vector around?

I think the most efficient way is to do a .clone() of the temporary Tensor after you created it. This will return a new Tensor with its own memory and it will work just fine after the original vector goes out of scope.