Simple working example how to use packing for variable-length sequence inputs for rnn

Hidden state is h_t. c_t is the cell memory. For RNN and GRU there is only hidden state so for those it should be clear. (The hidden state is what is output-ed at each time step.)

I think you missed
batch = batch.view(4,4,1)

Which error do you get?

I got a size mismatch error when fitting it to a RNN. Printing pack will give a packed sequence of size 14 but it has to be 14,1 where 1 is the feature_dim right? Do correct me if I am wrong

1 Like

Yeah, I think input for all RNN-type modules need to have a filter/channel dimension, or however you’d wanna call it.

I have not seen any examples handle padding/packing to compute the loss.

Suppose I have a tagger (i.e. for each input token I have an output label) can I use padded/packed sequence to compute the loss as well?

1 Like

Now that you have pack_sequence available in master (should be available in 0.4) you don’t have to worry about padding your input with zeros and call pack_padded_sequence

>>> import torch
>>> import torch.nn.utils.rnn as rnn_utils
>>> a = torch.Tensor([1, 2, 3])
>>> b = torch.Tensor([4, 5])
>>> c = torch.Tensor([6])
>>> packed = rnn_utils.pack_sequence([a, b, c])

But if you are only concerned about padding your sequence, you can youse pad_sequence

>>> import torch
>>> import torch.nn.utils.rnn as rnn_utils
>>> a = torch.Tensor([1, 2, 3])
>>> b = torch.Tensor([4, 5])
>>> c = torch.Tensor([6])
>>> rnn_utils.pad_sequence([a, b, c], batch_first=True)

1  2  3
 4  5  0
 6  0  0
[torch.FloatTensor of size (3,3)]
6 Likes

With pytorch 0.3.1.post2

AttributeError: module 'torch.nn.utils.rnn' has no attribute 'pad_sequence'
AttributeError: module 'torch.nn.utils.rnn' has no attribute 'pack_sequence'

Looks like my mistake, it is available in current master probably will be available in 0.4 release. Updated my answer!!

1 Like

hi,I run your codes, and then I find some errors. The size of batch_in should be (batch_size,feature_dim,max_length).And I changed them,but it has a new error.
“dimension out of range (expected to be in range of [-1, 0], but got 1)”

I don’t know what does it mean,maybe you can try and tell me something about it,thank you !

When I run the simple example that you have provided, I run into the error
“dimension out of range (expected to be in range of [-1, 0], but got 1)”
Is there anybody has the same problem with me?Can someone tell me why and how to fix it?

Hi,

According to pytorch doc,

Input can be of size T x B x * where T is the length of the longest sequence (equal to lengths[0]), B is the batch size, and * is any number of dimensions (including 0). If batch_first is True B x T x * inputs are expected.

As we set batch_first to True, the size of batch_in is expected to be (batch_size,max_length, feature_dim).

You’re right. And finally I find why I had the error. You said vec_1 = torch.FloatTensor([[1], [2], [3]]) and vec_1 = torch.FloatTensor([[1, 2, 3]]) here both are fine, but it isn’t. vec_1 = torch.FloatTensor([[1, 2, 3]]) has the size of [1,3] while the other has the size of [3,1].

1 Like

Thanks @sitara_J, I encountered the same size problem.

I’m still wondering how back propagation interacts with the padding. I’m trying to solve a problem where:

1. I have padded variable length sequences as an input to an RNN layer.
  2. I want to pass the output at each step through a torch.nn.Linear layer
  3. I want to compute loss for each element and sum these for each sequence.

Since the behavior of torch.nn.utils.rnn.PackedSequence is somewhat mysterious right now, I’m not sure how to go about this without ruining my gradients.

2 Likes

Thanks to Sherin, here is my minimal working example of packing

import torch
import torch.nn.utils.rnn as rnn_utils
import torch.nn as nn

a = torch.Tensor([[1], [2], [3]])
b = torch.Tensor([[4], [5]])
c = torch.Tensor([[6]])
packed = rnn_utils.pack_sequence([a, b, c])

lstm = nn.LSTM(1,3)

packed_output, (h,c) = lstm(packed)

y = rnn_utils.pad_packed_sequence(packed_output)

That is all.

6 Likes

Here is another minimal example/tutorial for packing and unpacking sequences in pytorch (with diagrams of intermediate steps). Hope it helps!

5 Likes

any update on this issue? how to void the backpropagation for padded elements?

1 Like

Still waiting on an answer to this. Crazy that there are so many examples of how to pad/pack sequences but almost none showing what to do with the padded output of the RNN for many-to-one or many-to-many models. It’s as if every time someone asks this question there is dead silence.

RNN for many-to-one

Perhaps you can check about this article
https://medium.com/@sonicboom8/sentiment-analysis-with-variable-length-sequences-in-pytorch-6241635ae130