Softmax/log_softmax in CTC loss

The docs to suggest using of logarithmized probabilities for an input of CTCLoss
https://pytorch.org/docs/stable/generated/torch.nn.CTCLoss.html#torch.nn.CTCLoss

However, there is example in pytorch repo (the DeepSpeech model) where softmax func (instead of log_softmax) is used just for evaluation but not training.

So I want to clarify what should I use for training and evaluation in CTCLoss:

• softmax/log_softmax for train/eval?
  • identity for the training and softmax/log_softmax for eval like in example I shared above?

As far as I know, for training you need log_softmax. For inference you can just do argmax. But using argmax might only give you Top-1 accuracy. If you use softmax and get top 5 scores you can get Top-5 accuracy. I think DeepSpeech model does something similar.

Thank you for the reply.

So for the training I need to use log_softmax it’s clear now. For the inference I can use softmax to get top k scores.

What isn’t clear is that why DeepSpeech implementation is not using log_softmax in the repo? I suppose there should be an explicit call of log_softmax in the model definition or the model calling, right? Or did I miss something?

model definition

model calling