Split the customised dataset to train, validation and test

Before I had only train and test dataset. Now, I want to split the dataset to train, validation and test. Also, switch between two phases (train and validation) every epoch in order to help me to adjust the hyper parameter.

This is snippet to split the dataset. I don’t know why validation and train is giving me wrong percentage of data.

# get all the image and mask path and number of images

folder_data = glob.glob("D:\\Neda\\Pytorch\\U-net\\my_data\\imagesResized\\*.png")
folder_mask = glob.glob("D:\\Neda\\Pytorch\\U-net\\my_data\\labelsResized\\*.png")

# split these path using a certain percentage
len_data = len(folder_data)
print("count of dataset: ", len_data)
# count of dataset:  992
train_size = 0.6 
val_size = 0.2
test_size = 0.2

train_image_paths = folder_data[:int(len_data*train_size)]
print("count of train images is: ", len(train_image_paths)) 
#count of train images is:  595

valid_image_paths = folder_data[int(len_data*val_size)]
print("count of validation image is: ", len(valid_image_paths))
#count of validation image is:  57

test_image_paths = folder_data[int(len_data*test_size)]
print("count of test images is: ", len(test_image_paths)) 
#count of test images is:  57

#print(test_image_paths)

train_mask_paths = folder_mask[:int(len_data*train_size)]

valid_mask_paths = folder_mask[:int(len_data*val_size)]

test_mask_paths = folder_mask[int(len_data*test_size):]

train_dataset = CustomDataset(train_image_paths, train_mask_paths)
train_loader = torch.utils.data.DataLoader(train_dataset, batch_size=1, shuffle=True, num_workers=2)

valid_dataset = CustomDataset(valid_image_paths, valid_mask_paths)
valid_loader = torch.utils.data.DataLoader(valid_dataset, batch_size=1, shuffle=False, num_workers=2)

test_dataset = CustomDataset(test_image_paths, test_mask_paths)
test_loader = torch.utils.data.DataLoader(test_dataset, batch_size=1, shuffle=False, num_workers=2)

DataLoader = {
        'train': train_loader,
        'valid': valid_loader,
        #'test': test_loader      
        }

also, I tried this but it’s return zero for validation and test is wrong as well.

len_data = len(folder_data)
print("count of dataset: ", len_data)
# count of dataset:  992
train_size = 0.6 
val_size = 0.2
test_size = 0.2

print("count of train images is: ", len(train_image_paths)) 
#count of train images is:  595

valid_image_paths = folder_data[int(len_data*train_size):int(len_data*val_size)]
print("count of validation image is: ", len(valid_image_paths))
#count of validation image is: 0

test_image_paths = folder_data[int(len_data*val_size):]
print("count of test images is: ", len(test_image_paths)) 
#count of test images is:  794

moreover, for switch between train and validation I am going to use this tutorial in Pytorch but this is for transfer learning and I am not doing transfer learning. would that be OK?

It seems like these are python indexing/slicing mistakes!

Your line

will take all the items in folder_data up to (not including) int(len_data*train_size). This is a valid approach.

However, the valid and test splits, achieved with folder_data[int(len_data*val/test_size)], will return you the item at position int(len_data*val_size). When you get the len of a single item, which is of type str, it will return the length of this object, in this case, the length of the path to the file.

I recommend that you look up Python indexing and slicing behaviour on google to achieve what you want!

thank you for the comment. I knew training percentage is correct, but couldn’t figure out why it’s wrong for validation and test. I also check this page. In order to split the data is same as my second snippet but why it’s returning empty list for validation and percentage of test is wrong.

Your second snippet is closer to the solution, but with still some errors in the slicing.

Let’s visualize with some values:

train_size = 595
val_size = test_size = 198

Your validation split, as it is, will extract elements from index 595 to 198, which is empty!

Your test split will extract elements from index 198 to the end, which is 992 - 198 = 794.

You can check a tutorial on Python slicing here.

thank you for sharing this.

1 Like