"Start Locally" Preferences Selector

One one computer that I viewed https://pytorch.org/get-started/locally/ the “Compute Platform” options listed CUDA-ROCm-CPU.

On another machine the CPU option was replaced with “default” and the corresponding install commandf line created was different. Also the CUDA and ROCm options were struck through.

I am assuming the selector attempts to determine the best option for the computer viewing it since the preset options in both cases seemed sensible. However I am unclear as to the difference between “CPU” and “Default” options. The second computer had an AMD GPU but presumably not ROCm capable.

I guess you were on a Mac, as it disabled the CUDA and ROCm options and provides “Default” instead.
I would guess that the selected package is called “default” instead of “CPU” as it should be able to use the MPS backend.

Yes, on a Mac. I thought MPS was a CUDA based system devised by Nvidia so not sure how that would be the case.

No, MPS is not a CUDA-based system by NVIDIA.

Oh right. Unless we are not talking about Multi Process Service which is what MPS means to me.

Right, MPS refers to “Metal Performance Shaders” and is used on Apple hardware. Multi-Process Service is not related to it.

Doh! The problem with TLA’s when contexts overlap. Given that a quick google search of “MPS GPU” returns CUDA & Nvidia for the first 8 responses and only 1 reference to Apple in the first 20 I am clearly not the only one who doesn’t connect the acronym to “Metal Performance Shaders”.

Thanks so much for clarifying. Its a pity that this is not made more clear somewhere obvious in the docs as I spent ages trawling them and search terms like “MPS GPU” didn’t point me anywhere near the right direction.

Ha, yeah it can be quite confusing if similar (but still different) things use the same acronym.
This reminds me when I tried to google the linux size command:

size --help
Usage: size [option(s)] [file(s)]
 Displays the sizes of sections inside binary files
 If no input file(s) are specified, a.out is assumed
 The options are:
  -A|-B|-G  --format={sysv|berkeley|gnu}  Select output style (default is berkeley)
  -o|-d|-x  --radix={8|10|16}         Display numbers in octal, decimal or hex
  -t        --totals                  Display the total sizes (Berkeley only)
            --common                  Display total size for *COM* syms
            --target=<bfdname>        Set the binary file format
            @<file>                   Read options from <file>
  -h        --help                    Display this information
  -v        --version                 Display the program's version

size: supported targets: elf64-x86-64 elf32-i386 elf32-iamcu elf32-x86-64 pei-i386 pei-x86-64 elf64-l1om elf64-k1om elf64-little elf64-big elf32-little elf32-big pe-x86-64 pe-bigobj-x86-64 pe-i386 srec symbolsrec verilog tekhex binary ihex plugin
Report bugs to <http://www.sourceware.org/bugzilla/>

which uses quite a tricky binary name if you want to search for it :wink:

Well, Its all Gnu to me…