Tensorboard graph failing to nest modules

Hi !

I’ve been running over this problem for the first time a few days ago and I have been unable since then to find a fix, so here I am. I am a big fan of tensorboard’s graph visualization tool, as it helps a great deal when it comes to understanding what happens in a model. I have been successfully using it for months now, but it recently tarted behaving strangely (probably since 1.2 where torch.utils.tensorboard._pytorch_graph.graph was significantly modified). My problem is that it longer nests modules inside one another. It just creates a big module, and inside are all the leaf modules directly, which is quite difficult to understand. See below for an example.
Screenshot_2019-12-04%20TensorBoard

Is there any way to come back to the old behavior with the new code structure ? Because this way of having things displayed is not very handy to use to be honest, and I can’t find a way to make it work.

Hi,

That does not look right indeed.
If you have a specific model that used to work and does not anymore, you can open a bug issue with the specific model and what you used to get and what you get now on github for this regression to be fixed !

Problem is I don’t have a screenshot of the version that worked for me. I could try to reproduce it with a previous version of pytorch though. The model I am using here is torchvision’s resnet34.

Ok managed to get an old version (had to fight for it, incompatibility issues everywhere). It looked like that:

I’ll create an issue I guess.

1 Like

Great ! Thanks for taking the time to get this.