Tips for building pytorch for contributing

I’ve been contributing to Pytorch and had few queries regarding building it. Building Pytorch is resource intensive.
1, Do we need to build Pytorch everytime when we do git pull ? I noticed that even though the compiled binaries are still there, using the build command again starts the compilation again (but not all).

DEBUG=1 USE_DISTRIBUTED=0 USE_MKLDNN=0 USE_CUDA=0 BUILD_TEST=0 USE_FBGEMM=0 USE_NNPACK=0 USE_QNNPACK=0 USE_XNNPACK=0 python setup.py develop
  1. Are there more flags that like the ones above that can reduce the compilation time and resource required ? I am using ninja as mentioned in the README,
  1. If code changed, you would have to rebuild at least the changed functions and whatever is depending on it.

2. The contributing docs have some information about e.g. ccache etc., which are useful for contributing to PyTorch. :wink:

How do we rebuild the changed functions only ? I am using ccache also.

I’m using python setup.py develop to only build what is needed after setting up ccache and ninja.

python setup.py develop builds everything as per CONTRIBUTING.MD. I’m currently using this

DEBUG=1 USE_DISTRIBUTED=0 USE_MKLDNN=0 USE_CUDA=0 BUILD_TEST=0 USE_FBGEMM=0 USE_NNPACK=0 USE_QNNPACK=0 USE_XNNPACK=0 python setup.py develop

My query is for example if a breaking change is introduced in Pytorch, for example here,

AttributeError: module 'torch' has no attribute 'true_divide'

true_divide will become part of 1.5. But now after importing torch, it throws this error. So instead of building again, how can I only build the change that has been recently introduced. So now when I run develop command, it compiles [124/620] 620 other binaries also which means some things are getting compiled again even though they have been compiled.

If true_divide was used in other methods (and files), they need to be rebuilt as well. Same goes for other depending files thereof.

That’s my question. What do I do to rebuild only the changes ? Is there some automatic way of compiling only the changes ?

Yes, as I said python setup.py develop should do the job. At least it’s working every time for me.

Okay, thanks will try.
I’m doing with this command

It builds other stuff also, but this is a subset of what you shared.