Transfer learning usage with different input size

Thanks a lot ptrblck!

Assuming we use a pretrained vgg, let’s say we add a conv layer in the beggining (i.e. if we want to have as input a tensor with 2 channels instead of 3). And we also drop the last fc layers to match our output size. When training we usually freeze all params in model.features with requires_grad=False and we only train model.classifier part. Now that we also added a conv layer in the beginning, do we need to train this part from model.features as well? Example code:

def build_model(self):

if self.model_type in ['vgg-16', 'vgg-19']:

assert self.image_size == 224, "ERROR: Wrong image size."
            model = torchvision.models.vgg16(pretrained=True) if self.model_type == 'vgg-16' else torchvision.models.vgg19(pretrained=True)
            if self.input_ch != 3:
                first_conv_layer = [nn.Conv2d(self.input_ch, 3, kernel_size=3, stride=1, padding=1, dilation=1, groups=1, bias=True)]
                first_conv_layer.extend(list(model.features))  
                model.features= nn.Sequential(*first_conv_layer)  

model.classifier[-1] = nn.Linear(4096, 1000)
            model.classifier.add_module('7', nn.ReLU())
            model.classifier.add_module('8', nn.Dropout(p=0.5, inplace=False))
            model.classifier.add_module('9', nn.Linear(1000, self.output_ch))
            model.classifier.add_module('10', nn.LogSoftmax(dim=1))

for param in model.features.parameters(): # disable grad for trained layers
                param.requires_grad = False

return model.to(self.device)```

Yes, you probably should train the first layer. Otherwise it’ll stay randomly initialized.
You could of course freeze all other layers, which are already pretrained. :wink:

I guess the following code should do the work:

model = torchvision.models.vgg16(pretrained=True) if self.model_type == 'vgg-16' else torchvision.models.vgg19(pretrained=True)
            if self.input_ch != 3:
                first_conv_layer = [nn.Conv2d(self.input_ch, 3, kernel_size=3, stride=1, padding=1, dilation=1, groups=1, bias=True)]

for param in model.features[1:].parameters(): # disable grad for trained layers

Hi again,

I’m trying to train a pretrained vgg-16 on the Fashion MNIST dataset. I added an extra conv layer at the beggining and modified the last layers to end up to 10 nodes. Also, I applied nn.LogSoftmax(dim=1) at the end, because I’m using nn.NLLLoss(). I disabled gradients for all gradients on model.features, except the first layer, so only the first conv layer and model.classifier layers are trained. I ran my code in two PCs one with 5gb GPU memory and one with 6gb, and both failed. Then, I tried Google Collab on GPU and still it takes too long to run even one epoch. This is my code:

if self.model_type in ['vgg-16', 'vgg-19']:

if self.input_ch != 3:

model.classifier[-1] = nn.Linear(4096, 1000)

model.classifier.add_module('7', nn.ReLU())

model.classifier.add_module('8', nn.Dropout(p=0.5, inplace=False))

model.classifier.add_module('9', nn.Linear(1000, self.output_ch))

model.classifier.add_module('10', nn.LogSoftmax(dim=1))

for param in model.features[1:].parameters(): # disable grad for trained layers

Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong?

UPDATE: For batch_size=64 it took more than 10 minutes for 1 epoch. Is this normal? I’m going to try a larger batch_size as well to see what happens.

UPDATE 2: For a batch size of 256 I got this error:

RuntimeError: CUDA out of memory. Tried to allocate 784.00 MiB (GPU 0; 15.90 GiB total capacity; 14.87 GiB already allocated; 323.88 MiB free; 14.88 GiB reserved in total by PyTorch)

Wow, 14.88 GB already reserved? Isn’t that too much?

Answered here.

I am building a classifier using MRIs with pretrained alexnet so my batch size has become the number of MRI slices for example one MRI have 30 slices so the input shape becomes [30, 3 , 256, 256] but i want to parallelize the training by passing batches of MRIs, lets say batches of 8 MRIs and the input shape will be [8, 30, 3, 256, 256]. How can i alter Alexnet or any pretrained model from torchvision to accept this input size?

You could reshape the input such that the batches and sliced are both in dim0, which would thus increase the batch size via x = x.view(-1, 3, 256, 256).
This would treat each slice as an own input in the same way as your previous approach.

Alternatively, you might want to treat the slice dimension as the depth dimension.
In that case, you would need to change the model architecture, since you would need 3D layers such as nn.Conv3d.

Now I am getting this error RuntimeError: CUDA out of memory. Tried to allocate 62.00 MiB (GPU 0; 8.00 GiB total capacity; 5.90 GiB already allocated; 55.97 MiB free; 5.96 GiB reserved in total by PyTorch)

This would mean that a batch size of 240 images is too large for your current device.
You could either decrease the batch size, the number of slices, or try to use torch.utils.checkpoint to trade compute for memory.

And what about if I have images bigger than 224? maybe like 562x562x3? what would be the best way to modify the network?

2 Likes

I didn’t get the 5th line

model.features= nn.Sequential(*first_conv_layer ) 

whats it is doing? I

This line unwraps the list and passes each element sequentially to the nn.Sequential container.
If you would pass the list directly, you would get a TypeError:

my_list = []
my_list.append(nn.Linear(1, 1))
module = nn.Sequential(my_list)
> TypeError: list is not a Module subclass

module = nn.Sequential(*my_list) # works
1 Like

I know we can add a layer before and fc at the end to match the no of classes. But when we train model by freezing the pretrained part, from where, the layer added at input side will get gradients… Even if it gets from the latest layer which is being trained does dimensions match and is it right to receive gradient from that layer, and its a partial derivative related calculations and it shd be receiving gradients from the layer next to it,

@ptrblck My virgin post will be dedicated here :slight_smile:

First off, I really appreciate your swift and detailed responses, most of the PyTorch forums I visited has your name. It is really not easy replying to so many issues and questions.

Now, although not a complete beginner, but I am relatively new to PyTorch, and I have decided that it is my native language from now. The question is relatively straightforward, for pretrained models like VGG16 or even more advanced models from pytorch-image-models, the question on whether I need to input the shape that the pretrained model is trained on remains a puzzle to me. From my basic understanding, Convolutional Layers are invariant of image size, but Dense Layers aren’t. But I was doing resizing of image sizes blatantly in PyTorch’s pipeline without any regards to why it worked like a charm.

In short, I use either albumentations or torchvision to resize my images to say 512x512 (as usually this image size seems to be the favourite among Kagglers). Then I will have a very simple class wrapper around nn.module as follows:

class CustomPretrainedModel(nn.Module):
    def __init__(self, pretrained: bool=True):
        super().__init__()

self.model = create_pretrained_model_here(......)
        n_features = self.model.classifier.in_features
        self.model.classifier = nn.Linear(n_features, num_classes)

def forward(self, input_neurons):
        output_predictions = self.model(input_neurons)
        return output_predictions

Then I run the pipeline without any hiccups. So my main question is, the flexibility to input any image size in PyTorch’s own native pretrained models/other famous PyTorch based repos is mainly due to the change in nn.AdaptiveAvgPool2d((x,x))? I am not too familiar with it so it would be great to know how pretrained models can handle all types of image sizes :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words and yes you are correct. The input shapes are flexible due to the usage of the adaptive pooling layers, which make sure the output activation shape matches the desired feature dimension of the linear layers.
Note that larger inputs would work without a problem, but the model would be still limited to a min. input size, since the intermediate activations could become empty otherwise.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the swift response. Here is one more question pertaining to VGG16. I read through your comments and found out it may be wise to study each layer carefully as one may perform model surgery on the layers especially when finetuning. I hard-coded out a VGG16 from scratch and compared it with the “proper version” in the source code of VGG16. I thought there isn’t any difference beside the fact that the source code made use of Sequential and it’s neater (I would tidy up). However, when using the exact same seed (it is a very robust seeding method), I get different results when using the my hard coded one vs the one from source code, both pretrained=False.

class VGG16(torch.nn.Module):
    def __init__(self, init_weights=True):
        super(VGG16, self).__init__()
        self.conv1 = torch.nn.Conv2d(in_channels=3, out_channels=64, kernel_size=(3,3), stride=(1,1), padding=(1,1))
        self.conv2 = torch.nn.Conv2d(in_channels=64, out_channels=64, kernel_size=(3,3), stride=(1,1), padding=(1,1))
        self.conv3 = torch.nn.Conv2d(in_channels=64, out_channels=128, kernel_size=(3,3), stride=(1,1), padding=(1,1))
        self.conv4 = torch.nn.Conv2d(in_channels=128, out_channels=128, kernel_size=(3,3), stride=(1,1), padding=(1,1))
        self.conv5 = torch.nn.Conv2d(in_channels=128, out_channels=256, kernel_size=(3,3), stride=(1,1), padding=(1,1))
        self.conv6 = torch.nn.Conv2d(in_channels=256, out_channels=256, kernel_size=(3,3), stride=(1,1), padding=(1,1))
        self.conv7 = torch.nn.Conv2d(in_channels=256, out_channels=256, kernel_size=(3,3), stride=(1,1), padding=(1,1))
        self.conv8 = torch.nn.Conv2d(in_channels=256, out_channels=512, kernel_size=(3,3), stride=(1,1), padding=(1,1))
        self.conv9 = torch.nn.Conv2d(in_channels=512, out_channels=512, kernel_size=(3,3), stride=(1,1), padding=(1,1))
        self.conv10 = torch.nn.Conv2d(in_channels=512, out_channels=512, kernel_size=(3,3), stride=(1,1), padding=(1,1))
        self.conv11 = torch.nn.Conv2d(in_channels=512, out_channels=512, kernel_size=(3,3), stride=(1,1), padding=(1,1))
        self.conv12 = torch.nn.Conv2d(in_channels=512, out_channels=512, kernel_size=(3,3), stride=(1,1), padding=(1,1))
        self.conv13 = torch.nn.Conv2d(in_channels=512, out_channels=512, kernel_size=(3,3), stride=(1,1), padding=(1,1))
        # Sequential Linear (fully-connected) Layers with affine operations y=Wx+b
        self.fc1 = torch.nn.Linear(in_features=25088,out_features=4096, bias=True)
        self.fc2 = torch.nn.Linear(in_features=4096,out_features=4096, bias=True)
        # last layer before softmax - usually called include_top in Keras.
        self.fc3 = torch.nn.Linear(in_features=4096,out_features=1000, bias=True)
        # completed 16 layers, hence the name VGG16
        self.dropout = torch.nn.Dropout(p=0.5, inplace=False)
        self.activation = torch.nn.ReLU(inplace=True)
        self.avgpool = torch.nn.AdaptiveAvgPool2d((7, 7))

if init_weights:
            self._initialize_weights()

def forward(self, input_neurons: torch.Tensor)-> torch.Tensor:
        input_neurons = self.activation(self.conv1(input_neurons))
        input_neurons = self.activation(self.conv2(input_neurons))
        # note here we are using maxpooling with stride 2 on conv2 layer before we proceed to conv3
        input_neurons = torch.nn.MaxPool2d(kernel_size=2, stride=2, padding=0, dilation=1, ceil_mode=False)(self.conv2(input_neurons))
        input_neurons = self.activation(self.conv3(input_neurons))
        input_neurons = self.activation(self.conv4(input_neurons))
        input_neurons = torch.nn.MaxPool2d(kernel_size=2, stride=2, padding=0, dilation=1, ceil_mode=False)(self.conv4(input_neurons))
        input_neurons = self.activation(self.conv5(input_neurons))
        input_neurons = self.activation(self.conv6(input_neurons))
        input_neurons = self.activation(self.conv7(input_neurons))
        input_neurons = torch.nn.MaxPool2d(kernel_size=2, stride=2, padding=0, dilation=1, ceil_mode=False)(self.conv7(input_neurons))
        input_neurons = self.activation(self.conv8(input_neurons))
        input_neurons = self.activation(self.conv9(input_neurons))
        input_neurons = self.activation(self.conv10(input_neurons))
        input_neurons = torch.nn.MaxPool2d(kernel_size=2, stride=2, padding=0, dilation=1, ceil_mode=False)(self.conv10(input_neurons))
        input_neurons = self.activation(self.conv11(input_neurons))
        input_neurons = self.activation(self.conv12(input_neurons))
        input_neurons = self.activation(self.conv13(input_neurons))
        input_neurons = torch.nn.MaxPool2d(kernel_size=2, stride=2, padding=0, dilation=1, ceil_mode=False)(self.conv13(input_neurons))
        # Adaptive Layer
        input_neurons = self.avgpool(input_neurons)
        # Flatten
        input_neurons = torch.flatten(input_neurons,1)
        # or
        # input_neurons = torch.view(input_neurons, -1)
        # Fully Connected Layers Below
        input_neurons = self.dropout(self.activation(self.fc1(input_neurons)))
        input_neurons = self.dropout(self.activation(self.fc2(input_neurons)))
        input_neurons = self.fc3(input_neurons)
        return input_neurons

def _initialize_weights(self) -> None:
        for m in self.modules():
            if isinstance(m, torch.nn.Conv2d):
                torch.nn.init.kaiming_normal_(m.weight, mode='fan_out', nonlinearity='relu')
                if m.bias is not None:
                    torch.nn.init.constant_(m.bias, 0)
            elif isinstance(m, torch.nn.BatchNorm2d):
                torch.nn.init.constant_(m.weight, 1)
            elif isinstance(m, torch.nn.Linear):
                torch.nn.init.normal_(m.weight, 0, 0.01)

Then I defined a dummy tensor
rand_tensor = torch.ones(8, 3, 64, 64, dtype=torch.float).to(device)
and compare both versions as follows:

vgg16hongnan = vgg(arch='vgg16', pretrained=False, progress=True)
vgg16hongnan= vgg16hongnan.to(device)

vgg16v1 = models.vgg16(pretrained=False)
vgg16v1=vgg16v1.to(device)

vgg16hongnan(rand_tensor) gives a different answer from vgg16v1(rand_tensor). I reckon I made some layers error in between… But I checked a few times and thought it’s fine. PS: I made sure to run it on the same GPU and clear cache everytime to ensure determinsitic results.

I wouldn’t recommend to use the seeding approach, as you would have to be very careful about using exactly the same calls into the pseudorandom number generator.
An easier approach would be to load the state_dict from one model to the other and compare the outputs. Since your architectures might differ a bit, you might need to manipulate the keys of the state_dict to make them match.

1 Like

Thank you for a great suggestion.
I have a quick question on the normalization part if we use the idea of adding a Conv2d layer in the beginning to map 1 channel to 3 channel. Pre-trained models require to normalize the data to the given mean and std values on the pre-trained data set. For example, VGG16 trained on ImageNet data set requires us to normalize with mean=[0.485, 0.456, 0.406] and std=[0.229, 0.224, 0.225]. I assume we could take an average on 3 channels, but I’m just confused if it’s okay or not.

hi. i am working on multilabel image classification. my image is of 2562562 size and i want to use vgg-16 ,how can i reshape it.