Trying to accumulate gradients in Pytorch, but getting RuntimeError when calling loss.backward

I’m trying to train a model in Pytorch, and I’d like to have a batch size of 8, but due to memory limitations, I can only have a batch size of at most 4. I’ve looked all around and read a lot about accumulating gradients, and it seems like the solution to my problem.

However, I seem to have trouble implementing it. Every time I run the code I get RuntimeError: Trying to backward through the graph a second time. I don’t understand why since my code looks like all the other examples I’ve seen (unless I’m just missing something major).

One caveat is that the labels for my images are all different size, so I can’t send the output batch and the label batch into the loss function; I have to iterate over them together. This is what an epoch looks like (it’s been pared down for the sake of brevity):

# labels_batch contains labels of different sizes
  for batch_idx, (inputs_batch, labels_batch) in enumerate(dataloader):
    outputs_batch = model(inputs_batch)

# have to do this because labels can't be stacked into a tensor
    for output, label in zip(outputs_batch, labels_batch):
      output_scaled = interpolate(...)  # make output match label size
      loss = train_criterion(output_scaled, label) / (BATCH_SIZE * 2)
      loss.backward()

if batch_idx % 2 == 1:
      optimizer.step()
      optimizer.zero_grad()

Is there something I’m missing? I could do the following an accumulate the losses:

# labels_batch contains labels of different sizes
  for batch_idx, (inputs_batch, labels_batch) in enumerate(dataloader):
    outputs_batch = model(inputs_batch)

# CHANGE: we're gonna accumulate losses manually
    batch_loss = 0

# have to do this because labels can't be stacked into a tensor
    for output, label in zip(outputs_batch, labels_batch):
      output_scaled = interpolate(...)  # make output match label size
      loss = train_criterion(output_scaled, label) / (BATCH_SIZE * 2)
      batch_loss += loss # CHANGE: accumulate!

# CHANGE: do backprop outside for loop
    batch_loss.backward()

if batch_idx % 2 == 1:
      optimizer.step()
      optimizer.zero_grad()

and this works, but then my question is why can’t I call loss.backward() in the inner loop? I’m creating a new loss object each time… If I set the batch size to 1 it would essentially be doing the same thing.

But all that aside, is there a numerical difference between calling loss.backward() every iteration of the inner loop vs accumulating the losses into a batch loss?

You are creating the loss in each inner loop, but you are also using a single forward pass in the outer loop in outputs_batch = model(inputs_batch).
The forward pass will create the computation graph with all intermediate activations, which are needed for the gradient calculation in the backward pass.
The first call to loss.backward() would compute these gradients are delete all intermediate activations, which explains the error in the next iteration of the inner loop.
Given that you are able to perform the forward pass with the complete batch I’m unsure which part of your code would use too much memory so that you need to accumulate the gradients (is it the interpolate method?).
Anyway, you would have to use loss.backward(retain_graph=True) or use multiple forward passes (in the inner loop).

Ah so a single batch can be done in memory, but the maximum batch size for the data loader is only 4, which we feel is too small. However, if we instead treat each batch as a “sub-batch” (idk the proper term) then we can stich 8 of these together to emulate a batch size of 32. So we want to accumulate gradients across iterations of the data loader.

In any case the code now works, thank you so much!