Understanding issues: 'one of the variables needed for gradient computation has been modified by an inplace operation'

Hey I am pretty new to PyTorch.

When I am not using detach().clone() in the following line

iou = evaluate_reconstruction(predictions_reconstruction.detach().clone(), voxels)

I am getting this error message:

RuntimeError: one of the variables needed for gradient computation has been modified by an inplace operation: [torch.cuda.FloatTensor [16, 32, 32, 32]], which is output 0 of MeanBackward1, is at version 2; expected version 0 instead. Hint: enable anomaly detection to find the operation that failed to compute its gradient, with torch.autograd.set_detect_anomaly(True)

Even though I know how to fix this problem, I don’t really get why this happens. Could somebody explain this more in detail? Any tutorial pages, etc.?

Thank you!

Code:

for batch_idx, batch in tqdm(enumerate(train_dataloader)):
      _, renderings, class_labels, voxels = batch
      renderings, class_labels, voxels = renderings.to(device), class_labels.to(device), voxels.to(device)

# Predict and estimate loss
       predictions_classification, predictions_reconstruction = model(renderings.float())

train_loss_classification = criterion_classification(predictions_classification, class_labels)
       train_loss_running_classification += train_loss_classification.item()

if predictions_reconstruction != None:
               train_loss_reconstruction = criterion_reconstruction(predictions_reconstruction, voxels)
               train_loss_running_reconstruction += train_loss_reconstruction.item()
               train_loss = args.loss_coef_cls * train_loss_classification + args.loss_coef_rec * train_loss_reconstruction
               train_loss_running += train_loss.item()
               iou = evaluate_reconstruction(predictions_reconstruction.detach().clone(), voxels)
               train_reconstruction_iou += iou
       else:
               train_loss = train_loss_classification

# Backprob and make a step
       optimizer.zero_grad()
       train_loss.backward()
       optimizer.step()