Using Autoencoder in Dataset conflicts CPU and GPU usage

Hello,

I am attempting to build an image classification pipeline that uses a convolutional autoencoder (CAE) to compute error maps in the __getitem__ method of a Dataset for a CNN classifier. This way I don’t have to save a new set of reconstruction error maps for each trial of CAE alternatives, and instead can compute the error maps ‘on-the-fly’ with a selected CAE. You can see how this works in my dataset class where I call self.model to get the reconstructed image and continue to return the error map.

class ErrorMapDataset(torch.utils.data.Dataset):

def __init__(self, model, root: str=None, dirs: List=None, 
                 transform: str=None, label: torch.tensor=None):
        super(ErrorMapDataset, self).__init__()

self.root = root
        self.dirs = dirs
        self.transform = transform
        self.collect_sets()
        self.model = model
        # self.model.freeze()
        self.model.eval()

def __len__(self):
        return len(self.img_files)

def __getitem__(self, index):

label = self.img_files[index][1]
        img_file = os.path.join(self.root, self.img_files[index][0])
        x = np.load(img_file)

with torch.no_grad():
            if self.transform:
                x = self.transform(x)

x = x.float()
            x_reconst = self.model(x.unsqueeze(0)) # Unsqueeze to account for batch
            error_map = squared_error(x_reconst, x)
            return error_map.squeeze(), label

def collect_sets(self):

self.img_files = []
        for i, path in enumerate(self.dirs):
            for f in os.listdir(os.path.join(self.root, path)):
                file = os.path.join(path, f)
                self.img_files.append( (file, i) )

The problem that I am running into (I think) is that PyTorch is building the CAE (in the Dataset) into the CNN computations, even though the only place the CAE is found is in the Dataset. This can be seen from calling print(cnn),

BinaryCNN(
  (cae): CAE(
    (conv1): Conv2d(6, 12, kernel_size=(7, 7), stride=(1, 1), padding=(3, 3))
    (conv2): Conv2d(12, 8, kernel_size=(5, 5), stride=(1, 1), padding=(2, 2))
    (conv3): Conv2d(8, 3, kernel_size=(3, 3), stride=(1, 1), padding=(1, 1))
    (pool): MaxPool2d(kernel_size=2, stride=2, padding=0, dilation=1, ceil_mode=False)
    (conv4): Conv2d(3, 8, kernel_size=(3, 3), stride=(1, 1), padding=(1, 1))
    (conv5): Conv2d(8, 12, kernel_size=(5, 5), stride=(1, 1), padding=(2, 2))
    (conv6): Conv2d(12, 6, kernel_size=(7, 7), stride=(1, 1), padding=(3, 3))
    (unpool): Upsample(scale_factor=2.0, mode=bilinear)
  )
  (loss_function): BCEWithLogitsLoss()
  (conv): Sequential(
    (0): Sequential(
      (0): Conv2d(6, 32, kernel_size=(5, 5), stride=(1, 1), padding=(2, 2))
      (1): MaxPool2d(kernel_size=2, stride=2, padding=0, dilation=1, ceil_mode=False)
    )
    (1): Sequential(
      (0): Conv2d(32, 64, kernel_size=(5, 5), stride=(1, 1), padding=(2, 2))
      (1): MaxPool2d(kernel_size=2, stride=2, padding=0, dilation=1, ceil_mode=False)
    )
  )
  (fc): Sequential(
    (0): Linear(in_features=16384, out_features=512, bias=True)
  )
  (output): Linear(in_features=512, out_features=1, bias=True)
)

Thus, when I cast the CNN to my GPU for training, it is also casting the CAE to the GPU and prohibiting the __getitem__ method in the Dataset from functioning properly (which runs on the CPU); I get the following error,

RuntimeError: Caught RuntimeError in DataLoader worker process 0.
Original Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/brahste/miniconda3/envs/pytorch/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/utils/data/_utils/worker.py", line 178, in _worker_loop
    data = fetcher.fetch(index)
  File "/home/brahste/miniconda3/envs/pytorch/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/utils/data/_utils/fetch.py", line 44, in fetch
    data = [self.dataset[idx] for idx in possibly_batched_index]
  File "/home/brahste/miniconda3/envs/pytorch/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/utils/data/_utils/fetch.py", line 44, in <listcomp>
    data = [self.dataset[idx] for idx in possibly_batched_index]
  File "/home/brahste/miniconda3/envs/pytorch/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/utils/data/dataset.py", line 257, in __getitem__
    return self.dataset[self.indices[idx]]
  File "/home/brahste/miniconda3/envs/pytorch/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/utils/data/dataset.py", line 257, in __getitem__
    return self.dataset[self.indices[idx]]
  File "/home/brahste/Documents/masters_docs/code/lighn_cae/lightn/utils/datasets.py", line 69, in __getitem__
    x_reconst = self.model(x.unsqueeze(0))
  File "/home/brahste/miniconda3/envs/pytorch/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/module.py", line 532, in __call__
    result = self.forward(*input, **kwargs)
  File "/home/brahste/Documents/masters_docs/code/lighn_cae/lightn/models/cae.py", line 65, in forward
    z = self.encode(x)
  File "/home/brahste/Documents/masters_docs/code/lighn_cae/lightn/models/cae.py", line 49, in encode
    x = F.relu( self.conv1(x) )         # 64.64.6  -> 64.64.12
  File "/home/brahste/miniconda3/envs/pytorch/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/module.py", line 532, in __call__
    result = self.forward(*input, **kwargs)
  File "/home/brahste/miniconda3/envs/pytorch/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/conv.py", line 345, in forward
    return self.conv2d_forward(input, self.weight)
  File "/home/brahste/miniconda3/envs/pytorch/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/conv.py", line 341, in conv2d_forward
    return F.conv2d(input, weight, self.bias, self.stride,
RuntimeError: Input type (torch.FloatTensor) and weight type (torch.cuda.FloatTensor) should be the same

To fix this I tried to manually override the device of CAE in the Dataset class, but it would not change. Futhermore, if I change the original image x to the GPU I get the error RuntimeError: Cannot re-initialize CUDA in forked subprocess.

When training on the CPU no issues are found, only when using the GPU. I have done some digging and tried everything I could find about separating the CAE from the computation graph, including wrapping the returned item with torch.no_grad:, using .detch(), .freeze(), .eval(), and even casting the loaded CAE model to the CPU,

device = torch.device('cpu')
with torch.no_grad():
    cae = models.cae.CAE(config['exp_params'])
    cae.load_state_dict(torch.load('logs/CAE_.pt', map_location=device))

but with no success.

I am relatively new to PyTorch and expect that my issue is due to a lack of understanding with autograd, any help to better understand my situation is highly appreciated.

System:
Python 3.8.2
Pytorch 1.4.0
Torchvision 0.5.0
Pytorch Lightning 0.7.5
CUDA Runtime 10.1

I guess your training code might be missing the transferring of the data to the device via:

for data, target in loader:
    optimizer.zero_grad()
    data = data.to('cuda')
    target = target.to('cuda')
    output = model(data)

In your Dataset.__getitem__ method you can return CPUTensors.