Using autograd in a custom 1D STN architecture

Hi! I’m trying to do something fairly non-standard with my network, locally warping the 1D input signal in a manner similar to Spatial Transformer Networks. In other words, the first portion of my network (implementation shown below, albeit simplified to omit irrelevant code) will learn an optimal warping transformation and apply it to the data before the latter portion of the network processes it.

The STN portion should learn the absolute time difference between the previous and current sample, and then linear interpolation is performed to rescale the input signal. Basically, we can’t trust that the original input signal sampled the data at consistent intervals, so we’re warping the measured signal to make that the case. Unfortunately, grid_sample() won’t work for me since I’m not interpolating for a regularly-spaced set of points; I used a 3rd party library instead, Interp1d.

The network isn’t learning anything useful, and I’m not sure if that’s because I don’t understand well enough how autograd works.

class STN(nn.Module):    
    # omitting initialization stuff here

def forward(self, y, raw_lengths):                                                                                                                         
        # extract features for STN
        feats = self.localization([y])[0] # just a nn.Sequential(layers)
        # predict length of each time step                                   
        dt = self.fc_loc(feats) # just a nn.Sequential(layers)
        # get new indices by accumulating predicted timesteps                
        shifted_indices = torch.cumsum(dt,2)                                                                     
        # subtract first element so indices start at 0                                                                   
        old_indices = shifted_indices.sub(dt[:,:,0].unsqueeze(2).expand_as(shifted_indices))                                                                                                                                                                 
        # output indices will be regularly spaced
        new_indices = torch.arange(30000, dtype=torch.float).cuda().repeat(y.shape[0],1)                          
        # interpolate new output values                                  
        new_vals = None                                                                                           
        new_vals = Interp1d.apply(old_indices.squeeze(), y.squeeze(), new_indices, new_vals)                                                                                              
        # return result
        return new_vals.unsqueeze(1).type(torch.HalfTensor).cuda()

Should this work as-is, or is there something else I need to do? Assuming the backward() function in Interp1d works correctly, I’ve just done some summation and subtraction, which should be easily differentiable. Do I need to implement a custom backward() function? Do I have to ensure y.requires_grad=True?

Hi,

You don’t need y to require gradients unless you want them. Your fc_loc should have some parameters that require gradients and that will be enough.

This code looks ok to me.
You can use from torch.autograd.gradcheck import gradcheck to check if the gradients computed by your Interp1d functions match finite difference.