What does "RuntimeError: CUDA driver error: initialization error" mean?

I’m getting this error:

"RuntimeError: CUDA driver error: initialization error"

But I can’t find what it means (or why it happens).

Of course I want to solve it but I want to know what the error means in the first place first.

This error happened once I used pin_memory=True

related:

This error might be raised, if you are trying to initialize the CUDA context multiple times, e.g. if you are using multiple processes (via the fork start method) and try to execute CUDA coda as described here.

I have a dataloader that samples data-sets then it has a custom collate function that creates data loaders for each of the sampled data-sets. I then sample data from each of the selected data-sets within the collate function. I (used to) have pin_memory=True when I created the data-loaders for the data-sets (within the collate function given to the higher level data-loader). The only one using multi-processing is the higher level level data-loader.

Is this what you mean by "trying to initialize the CUDA context multiple times?

Should I be sampling data-loaders instead of initializing them on the fly in the collate function?

I’ve read multiple sources online but nothing seems to help unfortunately.

I’m not sure I understand the use case completely.
Are you using an “outside” DataLoader with a custom collate_fn, where you are creating additional DataLoaders?
If so, what the use case and why do you need to initialize DataLoaders inside a DataLoader?

Yes! I have a data loader outside and the collate function is creating data loaders. That is exactly correct.

I have 64 image classes (with 600 examples) and I am sampling 20 images from 5 classes at a time (N-way K-shot few shot classification). 1 meta-batch is 20 images from 5 classes. So I am trying to create multiple meta-batches in parallel so that it’s quicker but something I did made this really slow. Now it’s taking over a day to run compared to my old single meta-batch code that ran in 4 hours.

I’m not sure why it’s so slow. I tried using the pin memory to speed things up but I get the error mentioned above.

Here is the collate function that generates data loaders (and receives ALL the data sets):

class GetMetaBatch_NK_WayClassTask:

def __init__(self, meta_batch_size, n_classes, k_shot, k_eval, shuffle=True, pin_memory=True, original=False, flatten=True):
        self.meta_batch_size = meta_batch_size
        self.n_classes = n_classes
        self.k_shot = k_shot
        self.k_eval = k_eval
        self.shuffle = shuffle
        self.pin_memory = pin_memory
        self.original = original
        self.flatten = flatten

def __call__(self, all_datasets, verbose=False):
        NUM_WORKERS = 0 # no need to change
        get_data_loader = lambda data_set: iter(data.DataLoader(data_set, batch_size=self.k_shot+self.k_eval, shuffle=self.shuffle, num_workers=NUM_WORKERS, pin_memory=self.pin_memory))
        #assert( len(meta_set) == self.meta_batch_size*self.n_classes )
        # generate M N,K-way classification tasks
        batch_spt_x, batch_spt_y, batch_qry_x, batch_qry_y = [], [], [], []
        for m in range(self.meta_batch_size):
            n_indices = random.sample(range(0,len(all_datasets)), self.n_classes)
            # create N-way, K-shot task instance
            spt_x, spt_y, qry_x, qry_y = [], [], [], []
            for i,n in enumerate(n_indices):
                data_set_n = all_datasets[n]
                dataset_loader_n = get_data_loader(data_set_n) # get data set for class n
                data_x_n, data_y_n = next(dataset_loader_n) # get all data from current class 
                spt_x_n, qry_x_n = data_x_n[:self.k_shot], data_x_n[self.k_shot:] # [K, CHW], [K_eval, CHW]
                # get labels
                if self.original:
                    #spt_y_n = torch.tensor([n]).repeat(self.k_shot)
                    #qry_y_n = torch.tensor([n]).repeat(self.k_eval)
                    spt_y_n, qry_y_n = data_y_n[:self.k_shot], data_y_n[self.k_shot:]
                else:
                    spt_y_n = torch.tensor([i]).repeat(self.k_shot)
                    qry_y_n = torch.tensor([i]).repeat(self.k_eval)
                # form K-shot task for current label n
                spt_x.append(spt_x_n); spt_y.append(spt_y_n) # array length N with tensors size [K, CHW]
                qry_x.append(qry_x_n); qry_y.append(qry_y_n) # array length N with tensors size [K, CHW]
            # form N-way, K-shot task with tensor size [N,W, CHW]
            spt_x, spt_y, qry_x, qry_y = torch.stack(spt_x), torch.stack(spt_y), torch.stack(qry_x), torch.stack(qry_y)
            # form N-way, K-shot task with tensor size [N*W, CHW]
            if verbose:
                print(f'spt_x.size() = {spt_x.size()}')
                print(f'spt_y.size() = {spt_y.size()}')
                print(f'qry_x.size() = {qry_x.size()}')
                print(f'spt_y.size() = {qry_y.size()}')
                print()
            if self.flatten:
                CHW = qry_x.shape[-3:]
                spt_x, spt_y, qry_x, qry_y = spt_x.reshape(-1, *CHW), spt_y.reshape(-1), qry_x.reshape(-1, *CHW), qry_y.reshape(-1)
            ## append to N-way, K-shot task to meta-batch of tasks
            batch_spt_x.append(spt_x); batch_spt_y.append(spt_y)
            batch_qry_x.append(qry_x); batch_qry_y.append(qry_y)
        ## get a meta-set of M N-way, K-way classification tasks [M,K*N,C,H,W]
        batch_spt_x, batch_spt_y, batch_qry_x, batch_qry_y = torch.stack(batch_spt_x), torch.stack(batch_spt_y), torch.stack(batch_qry_x), torch.stack(batch_qry_y)
        return batch_spt_x, batch_spt_y, batch_qry_x, batch_qry_y

that is passed to another data loader here:

def get_meta_set_loader(meta_set, meta_batch_size, n_episodes, n_classes, k_shot, k_eval, pin_mem=True, n_workers=4):
    """[summary]

Args:
        meta_set ([type]): the meta-set
        meta_batch_size ([type]): [description]
        n_classes ([type]): [description]
        pin_mem (bool, optional): [Since returning cuda tensors in dataloaders is not recommended due to cuda subties with multithreading, instead set pin=True for fast transfering of the data to cuda]. Defaults to True.
        n_workers (int, optional): [description]. Defaults to 4.

Returns:
        [type]: [description]
    """
    if n_classes > len(meta_set):
        raise ValueError(f'You really want a N larger than the # classes in the meta-set? n_classes, len(meta_set = {n_classes, len(meta_set)}')
    collator_nk_way = GetMetaBatch_NK_WayClassTask(meta_batch_size, n_classes, k_shot, k_eval)
    episodic_sampler = EpisodicSampler(total_classes=len(meta_set), n_episodes=n_episodes)
    episodic_metaloader = data.DataLoader(
        meta_set, 
        num_workers=n_workers, 
        pin_memory=pin_mem, # to make moving to cuda more efficient
        collate_fn=collator_nk_way, # does the collecting to return M N,K-shot task
        batch_sampler=episodic_sampler # for keeping track of the episode
        )
    return episodic_metaloader

(will generate a smaller example)

@ptrblck I am facing a related issue: RuntimeError: CUDA error: initialization error when calling torch.distributed.init_process_group using torch multiprocessing Appreciate if you could take a look and provide me some inputs.