Why can't I accumulate gradients?

Following is snippet from DCGAN pytorch tutorial

netD.zero_grad()
        real_cpu = data[0].to(device)
        b_size = real_cpu.size(0)
        label = torch.full((b_size,), real_label, dtype=torch.float, device=device)
        output = netD(real_cpu).view(-1)
        errD_real = criterion(output, label)
        errD_real.backward() # <------------------------ BACKWARD CALLED ONCE
        D_x = output.mean().item()

noise = torch.randn(b_size, nz, 1, 1, device=device)
        fake = netG(noise)
        label.fill_(fake_label)
        output = netD(fake.detach()).view(-1)
        errD_fake = criterion(output, label)
        errD_fake.backward() # <------------------------ BACKWARD CALLED AGAIN
        D_G_z1 = output.mean().item()
        errD = errD_real + errD_fake
        optimizerD.step()

Here backward is called twice with no issue. Gradients are ā€œaccumulatedā€ (according to the tutorial) and are used to update the weights with optimizerD.step

However when I did the following

D_x = netD(x)
        D_T_x = netD(T_x) 
        errD_real = criterion(D_x, label)
        errD_real.backward() # <------------------------ BACKWARD CALLED ONCE
        L_real = l2loss(D_x, D_T_x)
        L_real.backward() # <------------------------ BACKWARD CALLED AGAIN

I get this error

RuntimeError: Trying to backward through the graph a second time (or directly access saved variables after they have already been freed). Saved intermediate values of the graph are freed when you call .backward() or autograd.grad(). Specify retain_graph=True if you need to backward through the graph a second time or if you need to access saved variables after calling backward.

And I donā€™t see why the former is okay but the latter isnā€™t when they should be concerning the same graph for the netD parameters.

Please help me clear my misunderstanding. Thank you so much.

Best,
Gordon

The key bit is that you have the Dx = netD(x) evaluation as a grad-requiring bit that would be backwarded through. Note how the the example you cite uses output = netD(fake.detach()).view(-1) before the second backward. It detaches fake, so the backward doesnā€™t go through the netG computation and then computes the netD evaluation which has not been used in the first backward (which has its own netD evaluation).

If you donā€™t have much computation between the two backwards (if l2loss is what it sounds like) and want to accumulate grads for both losses in the netD parameters, maybe doing the backward through the sum of the two losses is a good option. (It should be more efficient than using retain_graph=True in the first backward, although that would work, too.)

Best regards

Thomas

1 Like

That makes perfect sense especially since the pseducode did in fact used an addition of losses.

Screenshot 2021-08-17 at 3.32.41 PM

Much thanks,
Gordon

Iā€™m afraid my understanding isnā€™t complete yet.

D_x = netD(x)

# bCR: Forward pass augmented real batch through D
        D_T_x = netD(T_x) 

errD_real = criterion(D_x, label)

# bCR: Calculate L_real: |D(x) āˆ’ D(T(x))|^2 
        L_real = l2loss(D_x, D_T_x)

(errD_real + L_real).backward() # <--- backward called once for first netD evaluation

# Format for print
        D_x = D_x.mean().item()

# train with fake
        z = torch.randn(batch_size, nz, 1, 1, device=device)
        G_z = netG(z)

# bCR: Augment generated images
        T_G_z = transform(G_z.detach())

label.fill_(fake_label)
        D_G_z = netD(G_z.detach())

# bCR: Forward pass augmented fake batch through D
        D_T_G_z = netD(T_G_z)

errD_fake = criterion(D_G_z, label)

# bCR: Calculate L_fake: |D(G(z)) āˆ’ D(T(G(z)))|^2
        L_fake = l2loss(D_G_z, D_T_x)

(errD_fake + L_fake).backward() <--- backward called once for second evaluation of netD

The first backward() works but the second one gives me the same error as above. Perhaps my understanding of ā€˜evaluation of netDā€™ is wrong. Do you mean evaluation of netD as in netD(x) being one evaluation and netD(y) being another?

Try recomputing D_T_x just before computing L_fake and see if this fixes this error.

Dang it does! Thanks! You also made me realise that I was using the wrong target anyways. Like its literally in the comment above to use D_T_G_z :sweat_smile: But I gotta askā€¦are the weights also backprogagated for the target in a loss function? Because the issue seems to be that the gradients were backprogated twice for the same evaluation for D_T_x. If you could help me clear this up, I would deeply appreciate it.

Glad to be of help. This tutorial may help with some of your questions.

1 Like