Why data augmentation leads to decreased accuracy when finetuning?

I use this script for finetuning different pretrained models in PyTorch on a custom dataset. My custom dataset has 200 categories, average 60 images per category, so totally 12000 images. And I split this dataset into 6000 training images and 6000 test images.

[1] finetuing only the last classifier layer without data augmentation
finetuning only the last classifier layer
[2] finetuing with all the layers without data augmentation
finetuning with all layers

Because this dataset has imbalance in class, e.g. some classes have 45 images each, and some classes have 30 images each. So I use data augmentation to augment the training set up to 256 images per category. The test set is not change. Specifically, I use these strategies for data augmentation:

• random flip
  • random crop
  • random blur
  • random sharpen
  • random contrast enhancement
  • random affine transformation

[3] finetuning with all layers and data augmentation
finetuning with all alyers and data augmentation

• comparision
    | | top-1 | top-5 |
    |-----|-------|-------|
    | [1] | 77.5 | 93.6 |
    | [2] | 91.3 | 98.1 |
    | [3] | 87.8 | 96.8 |

From the above table, you can see:

• finetuing with all layers can get higher top-1 accuracy than finetuing with only the classifier (91.3 vs 77.5). This is desired.
  • However, finetuing without data augmentation can still get higher top-1 accuray than with data augmentation (91.3 vs 87.8). This is for resnet18. I also tried resnet34, and get similar result. Originally, I think use data augmentation can get higher accuracy, but it didn’t.

So my question:

• Why data augmentation leads to decreased accuracy when finetuning?
  • What data augmentation used in PyTorch ImageNet training? From the training code, I just see only random crop and random flip are used.
1 Like

data augmentation can lead to decreased accuracy if your model does not have enough capacity.

1 Like

Thanks! I think maybe data augmentation will be more effective if I train from scratch than finetuning.

1 Like

I see the same issue. I guess that some argumentation might not be used in creating the pre-trained model and introducing new argumentation in the fine-tuning process could distract the predictive power.

But when trained from scratch, the data may not be enough.

I have about 16418 images including 120 classes. Now I am training from scratch, I find my val loss decrease very slowly.

Finetuning: val_loss 4.0(after one epoch)
From scratch: val_loss 4.0(after ten epochs)

After cropping, the object may not be in the image.