Why is there this warning message?

Hi,

I am trying to implement an qkv attention, and my attention module is like this:

class QKVAttention(nn.Module):

def __init__(self, n_chan_q=112, n_chan_kv=1280, mid_chan=256):
        super(QKVAttention, self).__init__()
        self.mid_chan = mid_chan
        self.conv_q = ConvBlock(n_chan_q, mid_chan, 1, 1, 0)
        self.conv_k = ConvBlock(n_chan_kv, mid_chan, 1, 1, 0)
        self.conv_v = ConvBlock(n_chan_kv, mid_chan, 1, 1, 0)

def forward(self, feat, featq):
        n, c, h, w = featq.size()
        q = self.conv_q(featq).view(n, self.mid_chan, -1)
        k = self.conv_k(feat).view(n, self.mid_chan, -1)
        v = self.conv_v(feat).view(n, self.mid_chan, -1)
        #  qkv = q.permute(0, 2, 1).bmm(k).softmax(dim=2).bmm(v.permute(0, 2, 1))
        #  qkv = v.bmm(k.permute(0, 2, 1).bmm(q).softmax(dim=1))
        qkv = v.bmm(k.transpose(1, 2).bmm(q).softmax(dim=1))
        qkv = qkv.view(n, self.mid_chan, h, w)
        return qkv

The ConvBlk is a nn.Conv followed by a nn.BatchNorm2d and a nn.ReLU, my problem is that when I run this code there is a warning message like this:

[W TensorIterator.cpp:918] Warning: Mixed memory format inputs detected while calling the operator. The operator will output contiguous tensor even if some of the inputs are in channels_last format. (function operator())

Would you tell me which operator broughts this warning, and what is wrong with my implementation ?

This warning can be raised, if the TensorIterator detects a channels_last tensor and another one in the contiguous memory format.
I guess k.transpose(1, 2).bmm(q) might be raising it.
Could you print the .size() and .stride() of both involved tensors?

Hi,

I printed the two involved tensors, their size and stride are like this:

q.stride():  (147456, 576, 1)
q.size():  torch.Size([8, 256, 576])
k.transpose(1, 2).stride():  (147456, 1, 576)
k.transpose(1, 2).size():  torch.Size([8, 576, 256])

Will this warning have negative impact what I want to do, or is there any better way to implement this ?

Since the kernel size of my nn.conv2d (1, 1), is it better for me to use nn.linear ?

The warning shouldn’t have any negative effects, if you are not changing the memory format manually.
You could replace the conv layer with a linear layer, but this should not be necessary and I would recommend to stick to the approach, which makes the code easier to understand.

I think the memory format cannot be automatically detected due to the currently used (ambiguous) kernel shape.

3 Likes