Why not use model.eval() in training_step() method on lightning

I’m wonder why we don’t use model.eval() command in training_step method of the “LightningModule”

def training_step(self, batch, batch_idx):
x, y = batch
pred = self(x) ### but our model is in training mode now …

There is two parts to this.

• training_step is about training, so it seems natural that the model is in training mode,
  • Lightning automatically sets the model to training for training_step and to eval for validation.

Best regards

Thomas

Thanks for clarification, @tom !
Does Litghtning do the same for “on_train_epoch_end” callback or I have to set model.eval() manually?
Which of pre-defined callbacks provided with model.eval “under the hood”?

is it correct that training loss calculating using model in training mode?

I don’t know, you could find out yourself with assert not model.training (for eval mode) or so.

The rule of thumb would be that training is set up with train and validation/testing with eval, but if you want this more detailed, I would probably check with in the lightning discussions.

I think the training loss is just computed during trianing, yes.

I guess PL authors took care of switching between eval/train mode within pre defined callbacks… But problem is that when I try to predict test data in “on_fit_end” callback without using model.eval() it gives me different result than predicting outside training routine (and of course using model.eval in advance), thats why I’m wonder If ‘on_fit_end’ callback provided with model.eval … but I guess I chose inappropriate forum

However, it should be emphasized that reporting the loss in train mode might be incorrect if for example the model uses Dropout. In that case, the training loss will be underestimated.