Adding BiLSTM on pretrained BERT-Expected target size (32, 2), got torch.Size([32])`

Hello, I’m trying to create a custom Bert model by adding a bilstm layer on top of a pretrained Bert model. I have the below code snippet that is causing problems :

class BertClassifier(nn.Module):
 """Bert Model for Classification Tasks."""
 def __init__(self, freeze_bert=False):
  super(BertClassifier, self).__init__()
  # Specify hidden size of BERT, hidden size of our classifier, and number of labels
  D_in, H, D_out = 768, 50, 2
  # Instantiate BERT model
  self.bert = BertModel.from_pretrained('bert-base-multilingual-uncased')
  self.lstm = nn.LSTM(D_in, H, batch_first=True, bidirectional=True)
  self.linear = nn.Linear(H*2 , D_out)

# Freeze the BERT model
  if freeze_bert:
   for param in self.bert.parameters():
    param.requires_grad = False

def forward(self, input_ids, attention_mask):
  # Feed input to BERT
  outputs = self.bert(input_ids=input_ids,attention_mask=attention_mask)
  sequence_output = outputs[0]
  print("sequence_output size", sequence_output.size())
  sequence_output, _ = self.lstm(sequence_output)
  print("lstm size", sequence_output.size())
  linear_output = self.linear(sequence_output)
  print("linear_output size", linear_output.size())

return linear_output

def train(model, train_dataloader, val_dataloader=None, epochs=4, evaluation=False):
 """Train the BertClassifier model."""
 # Start training loop
 print("Start training...\n")
 for epoch_i in range(epochs):
  # Print the header of the result table
  print(f"{'Epoch':^7} | {'Batch':^7} | {'Train Loss':^12} | {'Val Loss':^10} | {'Val Acc':^9} | {'Elapsed':^9}")
  print("-" * 70)
  # Measure the elapsed time of each epoch
  t0_epoch, t0_batch = time.time(), time.time()
  # Reset tracking variables at the beginning of each epoch
  total_loss, batch_loss, batch_counts = 0, 0, 0
  # Put the model into the training mode
  model.train()
  # For each batch of training data...
  for step, batch in enumerate(train_dataloader):
   batch_counts += 1
   # Load batch to GPU
   b_input_ids, b_attn_mask, b_labels = tuple(t.to(device) for t in batch)
   # Zero out any previously calculated gradients
   model.zero_grad()
   # Perform a forward pass. This will return logits.
   logits = model(b_input_ids, b_attn_mask)
   # Compute loss and accumulate the loss values
   loss = loss_fn(logits, b_labels)
   batch_loss += loss.item()
   total_loss += loss.item()
   # Perform a backward pass to calculate gradients
   loss.backward()
   # Clip the norm of the gradients to 1.0 to prevent "exploding gradients"
   torch.nn.utils.clip_grad_norm_(model.parameters(), 1.0)
   # Update parameters and the learning rate
   optimizer.step()
   scheduler.step()
   # Print the loss values and time elapsed for every 20 batches
   if (step % 20 == 0 and step != 0) or (step == len(train_dataloader) - 1):
    # Calculate time elapsed for 20 batches
    time_elapsed = time.time() - t0_batch
    # Print training results
    print(
     f"{epoch_i + 1:^7} | {step:^7} | {batch_loss / batch_counts:^12.6f} | {'-':^10} | {'-':^9} | {time_elapsed:^9.2f}")
    # Reset batch tracking variables
    batch_loss, batch_counts = 0, 0
    t0_batch = time.time()
  # Calculate the average loss over the entire training data
  avg_train_loss = total_loss / len(train_dataloader)

print("-" * 70)
  #Evaluation
  if evaluation == True:
   # After the completion of each training epoch, measure the model's performance
   # on our validation set.
   val_loss, val_accuracy = evaluate(model, val_dataloader)

# Print performance over the entire training data
   time_elapsed = time.time() - t0_epoch

print(
    f"{epoch_i + 1:^7} | {'-':^7} | {avg_train_loss:^12.6f} | {val_loss:^10.6f} | {val_accuracy:^9.2f} | {time_elapsed:^9.2f}")
   print("-" * 70)
  print("\n")

print("Training complete!")

So when i run the code, it returns the error Expected target size (32, 2), got torch.Size([32]) on line loss = loss_fn(logits, b_labels) ( in the training function). These are the sizes :

sequence_output size torch.Size([32, 64, 768])
lstm size torch.Size([32, 64, 100])
linear_output size torch.Size([32, 64, 2])

I tried reshaping the linear output with linear_output = linear_output.view(batch_size, 2) but after that it threw the error shape '[32, 2]' is invalid for input of size 4096 on line linear_output = linear_output.view(batch_size, 2)
Any help or advice will be much appeciated.

The nn.LSTM layer’s sequence_output will have the shape [batch_size, seq_len, nb_features] (in the batch_first=True setup) as described in the docs.
The following linear layer will thus be applied to all time steps in the seq_len dimension and will return [batch_size=32, seq_len=62, nb_features=D_out=2].
nn.CrossEntropyLoss will understand this shape as [batch_size, nb_classes, additional_dim] and expects the target to have the shape [batch_size, additional_dim].

I assume you would like to use the last time step only, so you could index the lstm output via sequence_output[:, -1] or reduce this tensor in any other way.

Thank you so much @ptrblck ! I modified linear_output to linear_output = self.linear(sequence_output[:, -1]) and the training started, hopefully I won’t encounter other issue during training. I do have 2 more questions if you could also help with this. As I am new to the entire pytorch and bert, lstm, is the forward function computed fine for a binary classification? The training works, but I’m wondering if it is a correct way to do it.
The second one would be regarding CUDA. At the moment the training runs on CPU but it takes hours to train. I have the latest CUDA version and the problem I have is that it says it ran out of memory right before training. I already tried to lower the batch size as much as I could ( to 16,4,1) but this didn’t resolved the problem. I don’t know if it’s a relevant thing but when I run the code on GPU, I checked the GPU usage on task manager and from 0% it goes to 5%,9% and when it throws the error it jumps to 100% and the running code stops and throws the error right before training. Any idea what else i can do to resolve this problem? Thank you!

I’m unsure what this indexing sequence_output = outputs[0] is grabbing, but besides that the code looks alright (at least I don’t see any obvious issues).
Since you are using two output units in the last linear layer, I assume you are using nn.CrossEntropyLoss for the 2-class multi-class classification?
While this would work, you could also return a single output and use nn.BCEWithLogitsLoss instead, so you might want to experiment with it.

If you are running out of memory on the GPU you would indeed need to lower the memory usage by e.g. lowering the batch size. If it’s already a single sample, you could use e.g. torch.utils.checkpoint to trade compute for memory.

sequence_output = outputs[0] was initially # Extract the last hidden state of the token[CLS] for classification task sequence_output = outputs[0][:, 0, :] but that turned the tensor into a 2 dimensional and i needed a 3 dimensional for lstm. I tried to use that and reshape the tensor so it will work with lstm but that brought a lot of issues after.
Yes, i am using nn.CrossEntropyLoss.
By using torch.utils.checkpoint do i have to make modifications just in the forward function or in the entire code as well? Do you know any tutorial on using this?

I was using this notebook in the past as a guide to use checkpointing. It might be a bit outdated, but could still be useful.

Many thanks for the help! It is much appreciated!