Are new NVIDIA drivers slower with Pytorch?

Hi,

When I do an experiment, I always save the code and the config used for that experiment, so that I can easily reproduce an old experiment. Of course the computer is always only working on this experiment.
Recently, I’ve updated my NVIDIA drivers, as well as my cuda and pytorch versions.
Here’s the thing:

OLDER VERSION

• Driver: Nvidia 435
  • Cuda: 10.1
  • Pytorch: 1.5.1
  • Maximum batch size (before OOM): 235
  • Time_per_iteration: .45s

AFTER UPDATE

• Driver: Nvidia 460
  • Cuda: 11.2
  • Pytorch: 1.7.1
  • Maximum batch size (before OOM): 216
  • Time_per_iteration: .50s

Results after update: 8% smaller batch size, 11% slower training

I’ve tried changing cuda toolkit version, I’ve tried going back to Pytorch 1.5.1. Same results.
I’ve tried going back to Nvidia driver 435, it doesn’t work and ultimately I have the error: “nvidia-driver-435: Depends: nvidia-driver-455 …”. So it always installs newer versions of the driver and I can’t benchmark again with my older driver.

Do any of you have seen a similar behaviour? 11% Slower training really is a lot. Is Nvidia purposefully slowing down their newer drivers?
Should I try using a docker container? (I guess it won’t work either if nobody can download the older drivers without downloading the newer ones, or if they’ve changed the older drivers…)

Thanks if you have any recommendation for this situation!

1 Like

What gpu are you using?

Could you explain what setups you’ve tested so far?
Based on the description of the two setups, the changes are:

• PyTorch version
  • CUDA version
  • cudnn (if you are using the binaries and the linked cudnn release)
  • driver version

All of these components might change the memory foot print as well as the performance:

• PyTorch might have added more CUDA kernels, thus the CUDA context needs more memory and you would have to reduce the batch size
  • CUDA as well as cudnn might have increases its memory footprint
  • depending on the used GPU you might be seeing performance regressions through cudnn (e.g. if the heuristic isn’t fine-tuned for the device and is picking a non-optimal kernel)

Based on the changes, I would not expect that the driver is the culprit, but you might have additional testing, so it would be good to hear it.

Dual RTX2070S, with DataParallel (not DistributedDataParallel which is better I think but that’s not the current use case).

Ok, I took the day to debug, many informations here:

(1) The drop in max batch size varies. And ofc when I increase the batch size, the training is longer so it doesn’t solve the problem
(2) I managed to rollback my nvidia-driver. I followed this tutorial ( apt - Ubuntu 18.10 : How can I install a specific NVIDIA drivers version? - Ask Ubuntu ), but they forgot to say that I also had to purge libnvidia-*
(3) I managed to try with my old nvidia-driver: same problem with PT1.5
(4) I still had warnings I didn’t have before, so I tried PT1.4 and now it works fine and I’m back at 0.45s/it, with no warnings so I guess it’s the version I was using.
(5) If I want to run pt1.7 back, it says “NVIDIA driver on your system is too old” so I can’t benchmark easily, but it works with 1.5.1 and I can see the slowdown just by changing my conda env

Conclusion: The slowdown was in Pytorch 1.5.1 and is not present in Pytorch 1.4.0, on my architecture (hardware, driver, software)

Pic of score = f(time): Imgur: The magic of the Internet
(ps: the lower score is just due to the steady slower training, when I compare score = f(iteration) it’s all the same except hard orange which has batchsize200 (didn’t adjust lr) + I did two other exps which confirm the pic)

Note: I’m using some stuff in this code: DataParallel, some jit functions, apex, so it would be hard for me to know what is causing the slowdown, I could perhaps try basic benchmarks if it’s important to investigate. Maybe my apex is just not working for pt1.5+ (but it’s the same code and the warnings are for completely different things, I solved the warnings and kept the slowndown)

Setups:

OLDER VERSION

• Driver: Nvidia 435
  • Cuda: 10.1 (conda command I executed to install pytorch in late feb 2020 clearly says 10.1)
  • Cudnn: 7.6.5 (maybe? It’s a package I have but I also just ran the standard command to install pytorch)
  • Pytorch: 1.4 !!! (not 1.5. I’m saying that because I reproduced the behavior in 1.4, I didn’t log my old pt version, I know it was below 1.6 but I installed it in feb2020 and pt1.5 is from april2020, and also 1.5.1 gives me warning I didn’t have)
  • Batch size (actually, it’s the batch size I used, I don’t think it was the max): 235
  • Time_per_iteration (steady during 2 days of training +/- 0.02s): .45s
  • note: This version is from feb2020, so anything I had installed (or almost) is from feb2020, so it wasn’t pt1.5)

AFTER UPDATE

• Driver: Nvidia 460.32.03
  • Cuda: 11.2
  • Cudnn: 8.0.5
  • Pytorch: 1.7.1
  • Maximum batch size (before OOM): 216 / 224
  • Time_per_iteration: .50s / 0.51s
  • conda: pytorch 1.7.1 py3.7_cuda11.0.221_cudnn8.0.5_0

Pytorch rollback

• Driver: Nvidia 460.32.03
  • Cuda: 10.1 in conda package but 11.2 in nvidia-smi
  • Cudnn: 7.6.3 (according to the conda package)
  • Pytorch: 1.5.1
  • Maximum batch size (before OOM): 235
  • Time_per_iteration: .52s
  • conda: pytorch 1.5.1 py3.7_cuda10.1.243_cudnn7.6.3_0
  • note: Result are the same with Nvidia 435

Full rollback pt1.4 nvidia435 (nvidia 460 would probably be fine)

• Driver: Nvidia 435.21
  • Cuda: 10.1
  • Cudnn: 7.6.3
  • Pytorch: 1.4.0
  • Maximum batch size (before OOM): 312 (yeah) | But all my experiments are done with 235
  • Time_per_iteration: .45s
  • conda: pytorch 1.4.0 py3.7_cuda10.1.243_cudnn7.6.3_0

Overall: when I just have two different conda env, side by side in two consoles, one with pt1.5, the other with pt1.4, I can see the slowdown between the two consoles (delta_t is quite stable)
For the batch size, I can reach up to 312 with pt1.4 but all the plots / other experiments are done with bs=235 (or the maximum available: 224 for 1.7) except hard orange plot.
The “Time_per_iteration” almost doesn’t vary during training that’s why I can tell there’s a 10+% slowdown (all the plots I did on my side confirm this), it’s not jumping +/- 0.10, it’s +/- 0.02 so the 0.05s difference is clear.
I checked the pytorch version with “import torch; torch.__ version__” to be sure but when I say “conda” in the setups it’s literally “conda list | grep pytorch” so there’s no doubt for me.
The difference in maximum batch size makes me think that it could be a problem with how fp16 is processed.

I’m glad that I solved my problem but I’m sad that my code is slower if I want to update. Though maybe it’s slower just with the methods I used and updating my code with native fp16 & co would make it faster?

I also updated the driver and it gives great results with pt1.4.
So it’s definitely not a driver issue, it’s because of an update in pytorch 1.5