AssertionError: filters should not remove entries all entries - check encoder/decoder lengths and lags

Hello, I am training a TemporalFusionTransformer from the pytorch-forecasting library. My code is as follows:

max_prediction_length = len(test)
max_encoder_length = 4*max_prediction_length
# training_cutoff = df_19344_tmp["time_idx"].max() - max_prediction_length

training = TimeSeriesDataSet(
    train.loc[:, train.columns != 'date'],
    time_idx='time_idx',
    target='occupancy',
    group_ids=['property_id'],
    min_encoder_length=1,
    max_encoder_length=max_encoder_length,
    min_prediction_length=1,
    max_prediction_length=max_prediction_length,
    static_categoricals=['property_id'],
    static_reals=[],
    time_varying_known_categoricals=[],
    time_varying_known_reals=['time_idx', '7-bookings', '14-bookings', 'sin_day', 'cos_day', 'sin_month', 'cos_month', 'sin_year', 'cos_year'],
    time_varying_unknown_categoricals=[],
    time_varying_unknown_reals=['occupancy'],
    target_normalizer=GroupNormalizer(
    groups=['property_id'], transformation="softplus"
    ), 
    # lags=['7-bookings', '14-bookings'],
    add_relative_time_idx=True,
    add_target_scales=True,
    add_encoder_length=True,
    allow_missing_timesteps=True
)

validation = TimeSeriesDataSet.from_dataset(training, train, predict=True, stop_randomization=True)

batch_size = 32  # set this between 32 to 128
train_dataloader = training.to_dataloader(train=True, batch_size=batch_size*2, num_workers=0)
val_dataloader = validation.to_dataloader(train=False, batch_size=batch_size * 10, num_workers=0)

test_time_series_data_set = TimeSeriesDataSet.from_dataset(training, test.loc[:, test.columns != 'date'] , predict=True, stop_randomization=True)
test_dataloader = test_time_series_data_set.to_dataloader(train=False, batch_size=batch_size, num_workers=0)

trainer = pl.Trainer(
    max_epochs=100,
#     accelerator='gpu',
#     devices=1,
    enable_model_summary=True,
    auto_lr_find=False,
    # clipping gradients is a hyperparameter and important to prevent divergance
    # of the gradient for recurrent neural networks
    gradient_clip_val=0.1,
    check_val_every_n_epoch=1,
#     logger=
    # device=device

)

tft = TemporalFusionTransformer.from_dataset(
    training,
    # not meaningful for finding the learning rate but otherwise very important
    learning_rate=0.0001,
    hidden_size=8,  # most important hyperparameter apart from learning rate
    # number of attention heads. Set to up to 4 for large datasets
    attention_head_size=1,
    dropout=0.1,  # between 0.1 and 0.3 are good values
    hidden_continuous_size=8,  # set to <= hidden_size
    output_size=7,  # 7 quantiles by default
    loss=QuantileLoss(),
)

My code breaks when I am trying to create the test_time_series_data_set.
The entire error is

/opt/conda/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pytorch_forecasting/data/timeseries.py:1244: UserWarning: Min encoder length and/or min_prediction_idx and/or min prediction length and/or lags are too large for 1 series/groups which therefore are not present in the dataset index. This means no predictions can be made for those series. First 10 removed groups: [{'__group_id__property_id': '19344'}]
  UserWarning,

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
AssertionError                            Traceback (most recent call last)
/tmp/ipykernel_20/99987403.py in <module>
     36 val_dataloader = validation.to_dataloader(train=False, batch_size=batch_size * 10, num_workers=0)
---> 38 test_time_series_data_set = TimeSeriesDataSet.from_dataset(training, test.loc[:, test.columns != 'date'] , predict=True, stop_randomization=True)
     39 test_dataloader = test_time_series_data_set.to_dataloader(train=False, batch_size=batch_size, num_workers=0)

/opt/conda/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pytorch_forecasting/data/timeseries.py in from_dataset(cls, dataset, data, stop_randomization, predict, **update_kwargs)
   1111         """
   1112         return cls.from_parameters(
-> 1113             dataset.get_parameters(), data, stop_randomization=stop_randomization, predict=predict, **update_kwargs
   1114         )

/opt/conda/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pytorch_forecasting/data/timeseries.py in from_parameters(cls, parameters, data, stop_randomization, predict, **update_kwargs)
   1156         parameters.update(update_kwargs)
-> 1158         new = cls(data, **parameters)
   1159         return new

/opt/conda/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pytorch_forecasting/data/timeseries.py in __init__(self, data, time_idx, target, group_ids, weight, max_encoder_length, min_encoder_length, min_prediction_idx, min_prediction_length, max_prediction_length, static_categoricals, static_reals, time_varying_known_categoricals, time_varying_known_reals, time_varying_unknown_categoricals, time_varying_unknown_reals, variable_groups, constant_fill_strategy, allow_missing_timesteps, lags, add_relative_time_idx, add_target_scales, add_encoder_length, target_normalizer, categorical_encoders, scalers, randomize_length, predict_mode)
    438         # create index
--> 439         self.index = self._construct_index(data, predict_mode=predict_mode)
    441         # convert to torch tensor for high performance data loading later

/opt/conda/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pytorch_forecasting/data/timeseries.py in _construct_index(self, data, predict_mode)
   1246         assert (
   1247             len(df_index) > 0
-> 1248         ), "filters should not remove entries all entries - check encoder/decoder lengths and lags"
   1250         return df_index

AssertionError: filters should not remove entries all entries - check encoder/decoder lengths and lags

The shapes of my train and test dataframes are:
train.shape = (1041, 12)
test.shape = (55, 12)

What is more interesting, is that this was code that was working. I am 100% I did not change anything and it stopped working on it’s won. I’ve seen answers like this and this where it is said that your min_encoder_length and min_prediction_length should be small so that any time series in the dataset can be longer than the sum of the previous attributes. Can anybody please explain this more in depth?

I did a code review of the TimeSeriesDataSet class. The problem is this line:

test_time_series_data_set = TimeSeriesDataSet.from_dataset(training, test.loc[:, test.columns != 'date'] , predict=True, stop_randomization=True)

When this is run with predict=True, for some reason, this does not make a TimeSeriesDataSet like the training TimeSeriesDataSet but with different underlying data like it says in the documentation. When this is run, in the new TimeSeriesDataSet, min_prediction_length is set to the max_prediction_length of the previous TimeSeriesDataSet. When the min_prediction_length is actually the max from the previous TimeSeriesDataSet, no data passes the filters (such as the short sequences filter).
To be able to use the TimeSeriesDataSet for predictions set predict=False.

1 Like