Basic question to source code optim.optimizer

Hi all,

I am trying to understand the source code of torch.optim.sgd (link to source). As it inherits several features from the torch.optim.optimizer class (link to source), I am also taking glances at that. For the beginning, I have two questions:

1. In the constructor of optimizer, it says self.state = defaultdict(dict). As far as I know, dict has to be a function that is called when trying to access a key in the state dictionary that is not present. Where is the dict function defined?

2. The method in the SGD source code:

def __setstate__(self, state):
        super(SGD, self).__setstate__(state)
        for group in self.param_groups:
            group.setdefault('nesterov', False)

It calls __setstate__ from the optimizer parent which simply does self.__dict__.update(state). So I assume this is to load an optimizer with a previous setting? Then what is the purpose of setting all the ā€˜nesterovā€™ arguments to False?

Best,
PiF

1. defaultdict accepts the default_factory argument, which is the Python dict class in this case. Iā€™m not 100% sure, but think this was added to return an empty dict for missing keys:
state = defaultdict()
print(state)
> defaultdict(None, {})
state['lala']
> KeyError: 'lala'

state = defaultdict(dict)
print(state)
> defaultdict(<class 'dict'>, {})
state['lala']
> {}
  1. I donā€™t know exactly why this is needed. I assume thr __getstate__ method of the parent class is used and since SGD has additional parameters, they would need to be reset to the defaults in the corresponding __setstate__.
1 Like

Thanks ptrblck!

1. Makes sense!

2. Right, since not all optimizers have ā€œnestorovā€ argument but it is evaluated in the beginning of SGD step( ), the setstate should ensure that the argument ā€œnestorovā€ is set. However, what about the other parameters like ā€œdampeningā€? It is also evaluated at the beginning of step( ), but not set in the setstate function. This would imply that all optimizers definitely have this argumentā€¦