Building libtorch with UE4 - Stuck on a couple of errors

Hi all,
First off - Having a Great time with pytorch, and it’s working well with UnrealEngine 4.23 - but with performance in mind…
I’m trying to build libtorch with UE4 - but running into some issues during compilation

Error	C4273	'torch::jit::tracer::addInputs': inconsistent dll linkage	UETorchC	E:\UETorchC\Source\ThirdParty\libtorch\include\torch\csrc\jit\tracer.h	292	
Error	C4273	'torch::jit::tracer::addInputs': inconsistent dll linkage	UETorchC	E:\UETorchC\Source\ThirdParty\libtorch\include\torch\csrc\jit\tracer.h	299	
Error	C2280	'std::shared_ptr<Contained> std::dynamic_pointer_cast<Derived,_Ty>(std::shared_ptr<_Ty> &&) noexcept': attempting to reference a deleted function	UETorchC	E:\UETorchC\Source\ThirdParty\libtorch\include\torch\csrc\api\include\torch\nn\cloneable.h	85	

I’m on win10, using VS2019 (which calls UBT - unreals own build system instead of using its own, but still compiles with MSVC)

What I have tried:

• building using libtorch 1.4 release, 1.4 debug, and latest debug
  • surpressing errors using pragma __pragma(warning(disable: 4273))
  • enabling permissive mode
  • linking to only the libs, dlls, both or neither (This actually seems to have no effect)
  • ensuring the build path has no spaces

The only ideas I really have left are to use vs2017 or try building libtorch from source, but not too confident either option will work.

Any ideas? I am happy to provide any more details or share the project.

Thanks!

2 Likes

I am trying to get the same thing to work, and have already tried all the things you have tried with no success and I get the same errors you get. In addition I can say that changing to vs2017 will not make a difference as I have tried. Might be a good idea to try to build from source and make sure you follow these steps https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Creating_%26_Linking_Static_Libraries_And_Make_Your_Own_Blueprint_Node_With_VS_2017_%26_UE4, in “Customizations for Targeting UE4 Modules”, I will most likely try that next week. So if you ever figure this one out please let me know.
Thanks.

@Maindz Good to know someone else is on the same path!

Worth asking - what version of UE4 and MSVC are you working with? I’m on MSVC 14.24.28314

Actually - if you can share your build output, could be rather useful to compare - here is mine:

1>------ Build started: Project: UETorchC, Configuration: Development_Editor x64 ------
1>Parsing headers for UETorchCEditor
1>  Running UnrealHeaderTool "E:\UETorchC\UETorchC.uproject" "E:\UETorchC\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UETorchCEditor\Development\UETorchCEditor.uhtmanifest" -LogCmds="loginit warning, logexit warning, logdatabase error" -Unattended -WarningsAsErrors -installed
1>Reflection code generated for UETorchCEditor in 6.2185253 seconds
1>Using Visual Studio 2019 14.24.28314 toolchain (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.24.28314) and Windows 10.0.18362.0 SDK (C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10).
1>Building 4 actions with 4 processes...
1>  [1/4] UETorch.cpp
1>E:\UETorchC\Source\ThirdParty\libtorch\include\torch/csrc/jit/tracer.h(292): error C4273: 'torch::jit::tracer::addInputs': inconsistent dll linkage
1>  E:\UETorchC\Source\ThirdParty\libtorch\include\torch/csrc/jit/tracer.h(276): note: see previous definition of 'addInputs'
1>E:\UETorchC\Source\ThirdParty\libtorch\include\torch/csrc/jit/tracer.h(299): error C4273: 'torch::jit::tracer::addInputs': inconsistent dll linkage
1>  E:\UETorchC\Source\ThirdParty\libtorch\include\torch/csrc/jit/tracer.h(279): note: see previous definition of 'addInputs'
1>E:\UETorchC\Source\ThirdParty\libtorch\include\torch\csrc\api\include\torch/nn/cloneable.h(85): error C2280: 'std::shared_ptr<Contained> std::dynamic_pointer_cast<Derived,_Ty>(std::shared_ptr<_Ty> &&) noexcept': attempting to reference a deleted function
1>          with
1>          [
1>              Contained=torch::nn::GroupNormImpl,
1>              Derived=torch::nn::GroupNormImpl,
1>              _Ty=torch::nn::Module
1>          ]
1>  C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.24.28314\INCLUDE\memory(1465): note: see declaration of 'std::dynamic_pointer_cast'
1>  E:\UETorchC\Source\ThirdParty\libtorch\include\torch\csrc\api\include\torch/nn/cloneable.h(81): note: while compiling class template member function 'void torch::nn::Cloneable<torch::nn::GroupNormImpl>::clone_(torch::nn::Module &,const c10::optional<c10::Device> &)'
1>  E:\UETorchC\Source\ThirdParty\libtorch\include\torch\csrc\api\include\torch/nn/modules/normalization.h(106): note: see reference to class template instantiation 'torch::nn::Cloneable<torch::nn::GroupNormImpl>' being compiled
1>  E:\UETorchC\Source\ThirdParty\libtorch\include\c10/core/MemoryFormat.h(55): note: see reference to class template instantiation 'c10::ArrayRef<int64_t>' being compiled
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\MSBuild\Microsoft\VC\v160\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets(44,5): error MSB3075: The command ""E:\Epic Games\UE_4.23\Engine\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat" UETorchCEditor Win64 Development -Project="E:\UETorchC\UETorchC.uproject" -WaitMutex -FromMsBuild" exited with code 5. Please verify that you have sufficient rights to run this command.
1>Done building project "UETorchC.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

strongly suspect issues are MSVC version related, I’ll give this a go on my linux box - avoiding the MSVC part of the toolchain may well sidestep the issues…

I have tried different MSVC versions but the one I am using now is 2017 14.16.27023.
Build output:

1>------ Build started: Project: IAF, Configuration: Development_Editor x64 ------
1>Using 'git status' to determine working set for adaptive non-unity build (C:\Users\mariu\Documents\Bachelor\IAF).
1>Invalidating makefile for IAFEditor (source file removed)
1>Parsing headers for IAFEditor
1>  Running UnrealHeaderTool "C:\Users\mariu\Documents\Bachelor\IAF\IAF.uproject" "C:\Users\mariu\Documents\Bachelor\IAF\Intermediate\Build\Win64\IAFEditor\Development\IAFEditor.uhtmanifest" -LogCmds="loginit warning, logexit warning, logdatabase error" -Unattended -WarningsAsErrors -installed
1>Reflection code generated for IAFEditor in 6,4612741 seconds
1>Using Visual Studio 2017 14.16.27023 toolchain (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.16.27023) and Windows 10.0.17763.0 SDK (C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10).
1>Building 12 actions with 8 processes...
1>  [1/12] SharedPCH.Engine.NoUndef.cpp
1>  [2/12] IAF.cpp
1>  [3/12] RL.cpp
1>  [4/12] PPOActor.cpp
1>  [5/12] IAF.init.gen.cpp
1>  [6/12] AgentPPO.gen.cpp
1>  [7/12] RL.gen.cpp
1>  [8/12] PPOActor.gen.cpp
1>  [9/12] AgentPPO.cpp
1>C:\Users\mariu\Documents\Bachelor\IAF\ThirdParty\libtorch\include\c10/util/flat_hash_map.h(1308): warning C4458: declaration of 'shift' hides class member
1>  C:\Users\mariu\Documents\Bachelor\IAF\ThirdParty\libtorch\include\c10/util/flat_hash_map.h(1318): note: see declaration of 'ska::fibonacci_hash_policy::shift'
1>C:\Users\mariu\Documents\Bachelor\IAF\ThirdParty\libtorch\include\ATen/core/TensorBody.h(1105): error C4522: 'at::Tensor': multiple assignment operators specified
1>C:\Users\mariu\Documents\Bachelor\IAF\ThirdParty\libtorch\include\c10/util/order_preserving_flat_hash_map.h(1427): warning C4458: declaration of 'shift' hides class member
1>  C:\Users\mariu\Documents\Bachelor\IAF\ThirdParty\libtorch\include\c10/util/order_preserving_flat_hash_map.h(1437): note: see declaration of 'ska_ordered::fibonacci_hash_policy::shift'
1>C:\Users\mariu\Documents\Bachelor\IAF\ThirdParty\libtorch\include\torch/csrc/jit/tracer.h(289): error C4273: 'torch::jit::tracer::addInputs': inconsistent dll linkage
1>  C:\Users\mariu\Documents\Bachelor\IAF\ThirdParty\libtorch\include\torch/csrc/jit/tracer.h(277): note: see previous definition of 'addInputs'
1>C:\Users\mariu\Documents\Bachelor\IAF\ThirdParty\libtorch\include\torch/csrc/jit/tracer.h(296): error C4273: 'torch::jit::tracer::addInputs': inconsistent dll linkage
1>  C:\Users\mariu\Documents\Bachelor\IAF\ThirdParty\libtorch\include\torch/csrc/jit/tracer.h(283): note: see previous definition of 'addInputs'
1>C:\Users\mariu\Documents\Bachelor\IAF\ThirdParty\libtorch\include\torch\csrc\api\include\torch/nn/cloneable.h(85): error C2280: 'std::shared_ptr<Contained> std::dynamic_pointer_cast<Derived,_Ty>(const std::shared_ptr<_Ty> &) noexcept': attempting to reference a deleted function
1>          with
1>          [
1>              Contained=torch::nn::GroupNormImpl,
1>              Derived=torch::nn::GroupNormImpl,
1>              _Ty=torch::nn::Module
1>          ]
1>  C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.16.27023\INCLUDE\memory(1770): note: see declaration of 'std::dynamic_pointer_cast'
1>  C:\Users\mariu\Documents\Bachelor\IAF\ThirdParty\libtorch\include\torch\csrc\api\include\torch/nn/cloneable.h(81): note: while compiling class template member function 'void torch::nn::Cloneable<torch::nn::GroupNormImpl>::clone_(torch::nn::Module &,const c10::optional<c10::Device> &)'
1>  C:\Users\mariu\Documents\Bachelor\IAF\ThirdParty\libtorch\include\torch\csrc\api\include\torch/nn/modules/normalization.h(106): note: see reference to class template instantiation 'torch::nn::Cloneable<torch::nn::GroupNormImpl>' being compiled
1>  C:\Users\mariu\Documents\Bachelor\IAF\ThirdParty\libtorch\include\c10/core/MemoryFormat.h(53): note: see reference to class template instantiation 'c10::ArrayRef<int64_t>' being compiled
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\VC\VCTargets\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets(44,5): error MSB3075: The command ""C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.23\Engine\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat" IAFEditor Win64 Development -Project="C:\Users\mariu\Documents\Bachelor\IAF\IAF.uproject" -WaitMutex -FromMsBuild" exited with code 5. Please verify that you have sufficient rights to run this command.
1>Done building project "IAF.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

AgentPPO is the first place I include libtorch.

If I remember correctly I think the c4458 warnings and the c4522 error disappeared when I changed to libtorch gpu version, used libtorch 1.4 cpu when I tried to build this, though I have tried pretty much every version from 1.2 both cpu and gpu.

Probably also worth mentioning that I tried to use libtorch in visual studio without UE4 just a plain c++ project, and that worked.

Have got any progress? What is the problem with GPU version?