Cannot loop through torch.utils.data.DataLoader

I have been trying to iterate through the items in dataloader for my model, but some reason, an error keeps showing up. After debugging, I realized that the error lies in the iteration of the dataset.
Here’s the error:

Here’s the first part of the code where the dataloader as well as the iteration is included (for debugging purpose):

from __future__ import print_function
            import torch.utils
            import torch
            import torch.nn as nn
            import torch.nn.functional as F
            import torch.optim as optim
            import torchvision

from PIL import Image
            import matplotlib.pyplot as plt

import torchvision.transforms as transforms
            import torchvision.models as models

import copy

device = torch.device("cuda" if torch.cuda.is_available() else "cpu")

# desired size of the output image
            imsize = 128 if torch.cuda.is_available() else 128  # use small size if no gpu

#transforms.Grayscale(num_output_channels=1),
            transform = transforms.Compose(
                [transforms.Resize((128,128)),
                transforms.ToTensor(),
                transforms.Normalize((0.5,), (0.5,))])

target_transform = transforms.Compose(
                #transforms.ToPILImage(),
                [transforms.Resize((128,128)),
                transforms.ToTensor(),
                transforms.Normalize((0.5,), (0.5,))])    
            #training stuff

training_set_style = torchvision.datasets.ImageFolder('./style', transform=transform, target_transform=target_transform)
            training_set_content = torchvision.datasets.ImageFolder('./content', transform=transform, target_transform=target_transform)

training_loader_style = torch.utils.data.DataLoader(training_set_style, batch_size=4, shuffle=True,num_workers=2)
            training_loader_content = torch.utils.data.DataLoader(training_set_content, batch_size=4, shuffle=True,num_workers=2)

for b in enumerate(training_loader_content):
                print(b)

Mainly, I wish to iterate through the dataloader in this loop:
    if name in content_layers:
        for batch in training_loader_content:
            # add content loss:
            content_image = batch[0].to(device)
            print(content_image.shape)
            target = model(content_image).detach()
            content_loss = ContentLoss(target)
            model.add_module("content_loss_{}".format(i), content_loss)
            content_losses.append(content_loss)

Can somebody help me out?

The actual error is shown in the last line and is raised by the target_transform:

TypeError: img should be PIL Image. Got <class 'int'>

In your posted code snippet you’ve commented out the ToPILImage() in target_transform, which doesn’t seem to be the case which is executed creating the error.
Since ImageFolder will create integer targets I’m unsure why you want to transform them to images and resize them. Could you explain your use case a bit more as I think ImageFolder might be the wrong Dataset for your use case?

1 Like

by the way, out of curiosity, I would like to ask how you deduced the fact that the actual error is raised by target_transform?

Hi. Actually I solved it. You were correct. The issue was the target_transform that I had set in the dataset parameters. Since I am not using labels of the images in the data dataset, this parameter was apparently unnecessary. Thank you.