Cant apply both 2 independent transform to image and binary mask

I have a custom dataset class where I apply some transforms.

My definition of the transforms are:

train_transform = {'img': transforms.Compose([transforms.Resize(Polyp.IMAGE_SIZE),
                                                      transforms.RandomVerticalFlip(),
                                                      # transforms.RandomHorizontalFlip(),
                                                      # transforms.RandomCrop(size=(320, 320), pad_if_needed=True),
                                                      # transforms.RandomResizedCrop(size=320,
                                                      #                              interpolation=Image.NEAREST),
                                                      transforms.RandomRotation(180),
                                                      transforms.ColorJitter(brightness=0.2,
                                                                             contrast=0,
                                                                             saturation=0,
                                                                             hue=.5),
                                                      transforms.ToTensor()]),
                           'mask': transforms.Compose([transforms.Resize(Polyp.IMAGE_SIZE),
                                                       # transforms.RandomVerticalFlip(),
                                                       # transforms.RandomHorizontalFlip(),
                                                       # transforms.RandomCrop(size=(320, 320), pad_if_needed=True),
                                                       # transforms.RandomResizedCrop(size=320,
                                                       #                              interpolation=Image.NEAREST),
                                                       transforms.RandomRotation(180),
                                                       transforms.ToTensor()])}

In the __getitem__ method I do the following:

class SegDataset(Dataset):
    def __init__(self, paths_df, transform=None, train_flag=True):
        self.training_flag = train_flag
        self.transform = transform
        self.images = paths_df["img_path"].to_list()
        self.segmentations = paths_df["seg_path"].to_list()

def __getitem__(self, idx):
        image = Image.open(self.images[idx])
        image = image.convert('RGB')

mask = Image.open(self.segmentations[idx])
        mask = mask.convert('L')
        mask = self.prepare_mask(mask)

seed = np.random.randint(sys.maxsize)
        if self.transform is not None:
            torch.manual_seed(seed)  # apply this seed to img transforms
            image = self.transform['img'](image)
            torch.manual_seed(seed)
            mask = self.transform['mask'](mask)
            mask = mask[0, :, :].unsqueeze(0)

return image, mask

def __len__(self):
        return len(self.images)

@staticmethod
    def prepare_mask(mask):
        mask = np.array(mask)
        mask = np.where(mask > 0, 255, 0)
        mask = mask[:, :, None].repeat(3, axis=2)
        mask = Image.fromarray(mask.astype('uint8'))
        return mask

Because my mask is a binary one, I expand it to 3 channels and then apply the transforms while taking only the first channel. But although I set the seed to the same value before applying each of the transforms the augmentation is different.

Note: I also tried with random.seed(seed) but still no success.

I might be missing something and would appreciate some help.

If you want to apply the same “random” transformation to the data and target, I would recommend to use the functional API as seen here and to avoid depending on the seeding.

I eventually did this in order to get consistency.