Change first ResNet Layer for non Image Data

Hey Folks,
My problem is this.
Currently I have an almost arbitrarily large dataset with which I want to train a common network architecture e.g. Resnet18.
My problem now is that this data set does not consist of images but only of single variables. So I have to get from a 10x1 to 3x224x224 somehow.

should i create a first new Layer like this:

class Resnet_Input(nn.Module):
    def __init__(self):
        super(Resnet_Input, self).__init__()
        self.fc1 = nn.Linear(10, 224*224*3)
    def forward(self, data):
        x = F.relu(self.fc1(data))
        x = x.view(-1, 3, 224, 224)
        return x

and stack it with nn.Sequential( Resnet_Input, ResNet18), should i modify the first layer or should i add a complete new “Residual Block”? What du you think is the best way? Do you have better ideas?

10x1 to 3x224x224?
That sounds crazy!

Referring to the structure of resnet, I think you can try to build a new network use nn.Conv1d, nn.BatchNorm1d and so on…

But in my understanding, if your input data have no spatial correlation, that’s no need to use convolution…(I cannot guarantee my opinion)

First I want to check some baselines.
how well do established networks work? Can I do this with more simple Networks? I also plan with going for GAN Networks (https://arxiv.org/abs/1905.12868)

The thing is, all my previously trained networks have been using datasets between 4000 and 8000 images. Thereby I was able to play with different parameters, because a training didn’t last very long. And after a lot of different Hyperparameters I figuered out a good Network Strukture.
Now I want to test datasets larger then 300 00 to 1 Million datapoints. Training will be last a lot longer. So I want to start with a established Network, to look where am I

Is this the wrong way to deal with such datasets?

The main question would be: how would you like to “reshape” your 10 values to a tensor of [3, 224, 224]?
I.e. you could somehow interpolate the values, just repeat them, fill with some other information?

I will never reach 3x224x224
But to fill it up with the same values could be a good idea, thanks :slight_smile:

Okay, maybe going for ResNet isn’t the best solution.
But I did not find any good ideas how to train a Network with only two inputs and one output.
Any good ideas here?