Constant losses in every epoch during model training

Hi everyone,

I’m new to PyTorch and currently working on training a PyTorch model for line detection using the NKL dataset and have encountered an issue where my training loss remains almost constant across epochs. Below are the details of my training process and some of the logs:

Any guidance on how to resolve this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Command to Run Training:

python NKL_train.py --epochs 20 --data-dir './data' --train-file 'train.txt' --val-file 'val.txt' --npy-path './data/training/NKL_resize_100_100' --model-save-path './models' --batch-size 13 --learning-rate 0.0001 --accumulation-steps 2

**Model output**:
2024-05-27 14:38:10,454 - INFO - Epoch [1/20], Training Loss: 0.0007, Validation Loss: 0.0003
2024-05-27 14:45:49,872 - INFO - Epoch [2/20], Training Loss: 0.0004, Validation Loss: 0.0003
2024-05-27 14:53:33,134 - INFO - Epoch [3/20], Training Loss: 0.0003, Validation Loss: 0.0003
2024-05-27 15:01:16,966 - INFO - Epoch [4/20], Training Loss: 0.0003, Validation Loss: 0.0003
2024-05-27 15:08:55,049 - INFO - Epoch [5/20], Training Loss: 0.0003, Validation Loss: 0.0003

**Here is the relevant part of my training loop**:
for epoch in range(epochs):
        model.train()
        running_loss = 0.0
        optimizer.zero_grad()
        for i, (images, labels) in enumerate(train_loader):
            images, labels = images.to(device), labels.to(device).float()  

# Clear the CUDA cache
            torch.cuda.empty_cache()

with autocast():
                outputs = model(images)
                outputs = F.interpolate(outputs, size=(100, 100), mode='bilinear', align_corners=False)  # Ensure output is 100x100
                loss = criterion(outputs, labels)

scaler.scale(loss).backward()

# Accumulate gradients
            if (i + 1) % accumulation_steps == 0:
                scaler.step(optimizer)
                scaler.update()
                optimizer.zero_grad()

running_loss += loss.item()
            if i % 10 == 0:
                logging.info(f"Epoch [{epoch+1}/{epochs}], Step [{i+1}/{len(train_loader)}], Loss: {loss.item():.4f}")

# Validation
        model.eval()
        val_loss = 0.0
        with torch.no_grad():
            for images, labels in val_loader:
                images, labels = images.to(device), labels.to(device).float()  # Ensure labels are float

# Clear the CUDA cache
                torch.cuda.empty_cache()

outputs = model(images)
                outputs = F.interpolate(outputs, size=(100, 100), mode='bilinear', align_corners=False)  # Ensure output is 100x100
                loss = criterion(outputs, labels)
                val_loss += loss.item()

logging.info(f"Epoch [{epoch+1}/{epochs}], Training Loss: {running_loss/len(train_loader):.4f}, Validation Loss: {val_loss/len(val_loader):.4f}")

# Save the model checkpoint
        torch.save(model.state_dict(), os.path.join(model_save_path, f"model_epoch_{epoch+1}.pth"))
        logging.info(f"Model saved to {model_save_path}/model_epoch_{epoch+1}.pth")

Try to overfit a small part of the dataset (e.g. just 10 samples) by playing around with the hyperparameters of your training. Once your model is able to learn this tiny dataset, you could try to scale up the use case. If the model still fails, you would have to check if your overall training script has some errors (e.g. accidental broadcasting etc.).