Correct usage of torch.distributed.run (multi-node multi-gpu)

Hello,

I used to launch a multi node multi gpu code using torch.distributed.launch on two cloud servers using two different .sh script in each machine:

#machine 1 script
export NUM_NODES=2
export NUM_GPUS_PER_NODE=4
export HOST_NODE_ADDR=10.70.202.133

python -m torch.distributed.launch \
    --nproc_per_node=$NUM_GPUS_PER_NODE \
    --nnodes=$NUM_NODES \
    --node_rank=0 \
    --master_addr=$HOST_NODE_ADDR \
    --master_port=1234 \
    train.py --debug
#machine 2 script
export NUM_NODES=2
export HOST_NODE_ADDR=10.70.202.133

python -m torch.distributed.launch \
    --nnodes=$NUM_NODES \
    --node_rank=1 \
    --master_addr=$HOST_NODE_ADDR \
    --master_port=1234 \
    train.py --debug

So when I started to work with PyTOrch 1.9, it says that torch.distributed.launch is deprecated and I have to migrate to torch.distributed.run. Unfortunately, there is not enough information about this module in the documentation on how it replaces torch.distributed.launch. When I try to work with the new method and I use the two new scripts in each machine:

#machine 1
export NUM_NODES=2
export HOST_NODE_ADDR=10.70.202.133:1234
export JOB_ID=22641

python -m torch.distributed.run \
    --nnodes=$NUM_NODES \
    --node_rank=0 \
    --rdzv_id=$JOB_ID \
    --rdzv_backend=c10d \
    --rdzv_endpoint=$HOST_NODE_ADDR \
    train.py --debug
#machine 2
export NUM_NODES=2
export HOST_NODE_ADDR=10.70.202.133:1234
export JOB_ID=22641

python -m torch.distributed.run \
    --nnodes=$NUM_NODES \
    --node_rank=1 \
    --rdzv_id=$JOB_ID \
    --rdzv_backend=c10d \
    --rdzv_endpoint=$HOST_NODE_ADDR \
    train.py --debug

I get this error:

[ERROR] 2021-07-09 19:37:35,417 error_handler: {
  "message": {
    "message": "RendezvousConnectionError: The connection to the C10d store has failed. See inner exception for details.",
    "extraInfo": {

Here’s how I setup my training script:

if "RANK" in os.environ and "WORLD_SIZE" in os.environ:
        config["RANK"] = int(os.environ["RANK"])
        config["WORLD_SIZE"] = int(os.environ["WORLD_SIZE"])
        config["GPU"] = int(os.environ["LOCAL_RANK"])
    else:
        config["DISTRIBUTED"] = False
        config["GPU"] = 1
        config["WORLD_SIZE"] = 1
        return

config["DISTRIBUTED"] = True
    torch.cuda.set_device(config["GPU"])
    config["DIST_BACKEND"] = "nccl"
    torch.distributed.init_process_group(
        backend=config["DIST_BACKEND"],
        init_method=config["DIST_URL"],
        world_size=config["WORLD_SIZE"],
        rank=config["RANK"],
    )

and I also parse the following argument:

parser.add_argument("--local_rank", type=int)

Am I missing something?

1 Like

Thanks for raising this issue! Since this seems like it could be a possible bug, or at the very least, a migration issue, can you file an issue (essentially this post) over at Issues · pytorch/pytorch · GitHub so that we can take a deeper look?

cc @cbalioglu @H-Huang @Kiuk_Chung @aivanou

Also, IIUC, torch.distributed.run should be fully backward-compatible with torch.distributed.launch. Have you tried simply dropping in torch.distributed.run with the same launch arguments, and if so what sort of issues did you hit there?

The docs for torch.distributed.launch|run needs some improvements to match the warning message. This issue is being tracked here: dist docs need an urgent serious update · Issue #60754 · pytorch/pytorch · GitHub. And most of it has been addressed in the nightly docs: torch.distributed.run (Elastic Launch) — PyTorch master documentation.

For the time being here are the things to note:

1. torch.distributed.run does not support parsing --local_rank as cmd arguments. If your script does this, then change it to getting local rank from int(os.environ["LOCAL_RANK"]). If you can’t change the script, then stick to torch.distributed.launch for now.

2. As @rvarm1 mentioned, torch.distributed.run's arguments are mostly backwards compatible with torch.distributed.launch (the exception is --use_env which is now set as True by default since we are planning to deprecate reading local_rank from cmd args in favor of env).

I tried torch.distributed.run with the same legacy arguments, and it works. Seems like it has a problem with the new rndvz arguments (or maybe I am not setting them up correctly).

Hi,

Did you understand whether one has to initialize the c10d backend manually (and in that case how)?

From the latest documentation I see that the ‘torchrun’ should be used. However, when using it on a setup of two nodes, I get rendezvous connection error on the worker node (the master node remains in a waiting state).

Hello! This usually means that nodes cannot reach each other due to hostname or ports being unavailable. What configuration are you using to launch jobs? Are you launching it on ec2?

I think the problem is that --rdzv_endpoint argument expects hostname not IP of a master node. That is why --rdzv_endpoint=$HOST_NODE_ADDR causes connection error.