Correct way to backward Variable inside nn.Module

I have 2 pytorch modules like this

class Module1(nn.Module):
    def __init__(self, opt):
        super(Module1, self).__init__()
        self.num_features = opt.num_features
        self.output_size = opt.output_size

self.w_t = torch.nn.Parameter(data=torch.Tensor(self.num_features,self.output_size), requires_grad=True)
        self.w_t.data.uniform_(-1, 1)

self.w_r = torch.nn.Parameter(data=torch.Tensor(self.num_features,self.output_size), requires_grad=True)
        self.w_r.data.uniform_(-1, 1)

self.w_l = torch.nn.Parameter(data=torch.Tensor(self.num_features,self.output_size), requires_grad=True)
        self.w_l.data.uniform_(-1, 1)

self.b_conv = torch.nn.Parameter(data=torch.Tensor(self.output_size), requires_grad=True)
        self.b_conv.data.uniform_(-1, 1)

def forward(self, param_1, param_2)
       return some_function(param_1, param_2, self.w_t, self.w_r, self.w_r, b_conv)

class Module2(nn.Module):
    def __init__(self, opt):
        super(Module2, self).__init__()

self.module_1 = Module1(opt)

def forward(self, param_1, param_2)
       result = module_1(param_1, param_2)
       return result

x_1 = torch.randn(N, D_in)
x_2 = torch.randn(N, D_in)
y = torch.randn(N, D_out)

module_2 = Module2(opt)

learning_rate = 1e-4
optimizer = torch.optim.Adam(module_2.parameters(), lr=learning_rate)

for t in range(500):

y_pred = module_2(x1, x2)
  loss = loss_fn(y_pred, y)
  print(t, loss.item())
  optimizer.zero_grad()
  loss.backward()
  optimizer.step()

In this case, Module1 is a sub-module of Module2, and Module2 is the main module that will be called in the main training process. Due to my specific task, I need to define 4 weights w_t, w_r, w_l and b_conv manually in Module1.

When I try to print if the gradient is afffected on any of these 4 weights, I found that the loss.backward() does not work in by doing:

print(self.w_t)

in the forward pass of Module1.
So my question is that how can I backward the loss correctly in this case?
If the loss.backward() is good in this case, I guess I need to change the place where I define the Variable, not sure what is a good practice here

Hi,

I think the problem is that the model that you give to your optimizer is not the one you use in your tranining loop. So even though the gradients are computed, the parameters are never updated.

Hi

Right, that’s exactly the problem that i’m suspecting. Do you have any suggestion to solve this problem?

Change

optimizer = torch.optim.Adam(model.parameters(), lr=learning_rate)
module_2 = Module2(opt)

to

module_2 = Module2(opt)
optimizer = torch.optim.Adam(module_2.parameters(), lr=learning_rate)

ah, I make a quick example to show what I did, make a mistake in the example, definitely the optimizer should receive module_2.parameters() in the real code. I also fixed the code in the original example