Cosine Learning Rate Decay

Hi, guys. I am trying to replicate the torch.optim.lr_scheduler.CosineAnnealingLR. Which looks like:
However, if I implement the formula mentioned in the docs, which is:

It is simply up-moved cosine function, instead of the truncated one above.

import numpy as np
from matplotlib import pyplot as plt
import math
lmin=0.001
lmax=0.01
tmax=50
x=[i for i in range(200)]
y=[lmin+0.5*(lmax-lmin)*(1+math.cos(i*math.pi/tmax)) for i in range(200)]
for i in range(200):
  if (i/tmax)%2==1:
    y[i+1]=y[i]+0.5*(lmax-lmin)*(1-math.cos(1/tmax))
    # pass
plt.plot(x,y)

I wonder if there’s anything wrong with my code?

You might want to use CosineAnnealingWarmRestarts as seen here:

optimizer = torch.optim.SGD([nn.Parameter(torch.randn(1, 1))], lr=1.)
T_0 = 10

scheduler = torch.optim.lr_scheduler.CosineAnnealingWarmRestarts(optimizer, T_0)

lrs = []
for epoch in range(50):
    scheduler.step(epoch)
    print(scheduler.get_last_lr())
    lrs.append(scheduler.get_last_lr())

lrs = np.array(lrs)
plt.plot(lrs)

Output:

Thank you, Mr. Patrick. I finally figured out that T_cur represents the epochs since last restart, instead of the accumulated epochs. In my code,

y=[lmin+0.5*(lmax-lmin)*(1+math.cos(i*math.pi/tmax)) for i in range(200)]

should be changed to

y=[lmin+0.5*(lmax-lmin)*(1+math.cos((i%tmax)*math.pi/tmax)) for i in range(200)]

By the way, do you think it would be a good idea to gradually decay eta_max during training (maybe directly revert to the original eta_max might break the suboptimal to much)?

Oh, I don’t know as I’m not experienced enough with these learning rate scheduler schemes, so let’s wait for an expert to chime in. :slight_smile:

Thanks Sir for the reply and the help. I will try to carry out experiments to verify my conjecture :slight_smile:

An interesting questions. I found a link online which describes chained learning rate schedulers. Maybe this can be used to realize a decaying eta_max by combining CosineWR with something like Exponential decay.