Cross entropy for soft label

The cross entropy in pythorch can’t be used for the case when the target is soft label, a value between 0 and 1 instead of 0 or 1.

I code my own cross entropy, but i found the classification accuracy is always worse than the nn.CrossEntropyLoss() when i test on the dataset with hard labels, here is my loss:

class softCrossEntropy(nn.Module):
    def __init__(self):
        super(softCrossEntropy, self).__init__()
        return

def forward(self, inputs, target):
        """
        :param inputs: predictions
        :param target: target labels
        :return: loss
        """
        log_likelihood = - F.log_softmax(inputs, dim=1)
        sample_num, class_num = target.shape
        loss = torch.sum(torch.mul(log_likelihood, target))/sample_num

return loss

could anyone help me to check if there is problem in my code?

2 Likes

Note that cross-entropy for non 0/1 labels is not symmetric, which could be an explanation for the poor performance.

E.g., consider the scenario for the binary cross entropy:

42%20PM

Or consider the following, where the ground truth and the predicted labels are shown on the x axis. I.e., you can see that if both are 0, the cost is zero. However, if both are 0.5, the cost is almost 0.7, although prediction=true label

34%20PM

10 Likes

similar with the label smoothing:

I believe this method from the new Snorkel lib is what you want:
https://snorkel.readthedocs.io/en/master/packages/_autosummary/classification/snorkel.classification.cross_entropy_with_probs.html

4 Likes

You can directly incorporate soft labels in a two class classification setting.
Try a sigmoid activation on the scalar output of your network together with the Binary Cross Entropy Loss Function ( BCELoss() )

As you noted the multi class Cross Entropy Loss provided by pytorch does not support soft labels.
You can however substitute the Cross Entropy Loss by taking the Kullback-Leibler Divergence (they are similar up to a constant offset which does not affect optimization).
The KLDivLoss() of pytorch supports soft targets.

A quick recap on the relationship of KL Divergence and CE Loss can be found here: https://adventuresinmachinelearning.com/cross-entropy-kl-divergence/

4 Likes