CUDA / CUDNN basics

Trying to run an lstm batch on a local GPU and I’m getting the following typical error:

/home/xxx/.conda/envs/torchenv/lib/python3.6/site-packages/torch/backends/cudnn/__init__.py:40: UserWarning: PyTorch was compiled without cuDNN support. To use cuDNN, rebuild PyTorch making sure the library is visible to the build system. "PyTorch was compiled without cuDNN support. To use cuDNN, rebuild "

These are the relevant packages in my environment:

(torchenv) [~/git/nn]$ conda list
cuda80 1.0 0 soumith
cudatoolkit 7.5 2
cudnn 6.0.21 cuda7.5_0
pytorch 0.1.12 py36cuda7.5cudnn6.0_1

In [2]: torch.backends.cudnn.is_acceptable(torch.cuda.FloatTensor(1))
`False’

In [3]: print(torch.backends.cudnn.version())
None

In [4]: print(torch.cuda.is_available())
True

So CUDA and CUDNN are available, but pytorch was built against a previous version than the one in my system. A few beginner questions that I can’t find answers for in other questions here:

1. Am I seeing the “compiled without cuDNN support” errors because of version mismatch between build and visible versions?

2. If so, what is the best way to solve this? Should I uninstall pytorch and build from source? Or is there an organic way to do this using conda?

3. What are some good practices to keep a local node / cluster up to date and avoid these mismatches?

Using Linux 4.12.4-1-ARCH fwiw.

Thanks!

Not sure if also relevant:

(torchenv) [~/git/nn]$ nvcc --version
nvcc: NVIDIA ® Cuda compiler driver
Copyright © 2005-2016 NVIDIA Corporation
Built on Tue_Jan_10_13:22:03_CST_2017
Cuda compilation tools, release 8.0, V8.0.61

This is how I compiled PyTorch inside a Docker image with CUDA support:

Also try this:

Thanks for the list of packages. I upgraded to 0.2.0 and now it automagically works. Thanks for fixing whatever bug this was to the dev team.

I am facing same issue but when I am trying to update pytorch to 0.2.0 its updated but when I checked in code its showing that its using pytorch 0.1.12
issue:

my pytorch-gpu version 0.1.12
pytorch version 0.2.0

is it using pytorch-gpu? if so I uninstalled pytorch-gpu then its giving me that no module torch.
how can i fix this issue.