CUDA error: CUBLAS_STATUS_NOT_INITIALIZED when calling cublasCreate(handle)

CUDA error: CUBLAS_STATUS_NOT_INITIALIZED when calling cublasCreate(handle)
I’m trying to use torch.mm() but sometimes I got this error.

I run the code under Pytorch 1.4 with CUDA 9.0
Meanwhile, I also run the code with Pytorch 1.5, CUDA 9.0. And sometimes, I also get this bug.
More details in #180

This error might be raised, if you are running out of memory and cublas fails to create the handle, so try to reduce the memory usage e.g. via a smaller batch size.

7 Likes

Hi, I get the same error.
Everything works fine when I use only one gpu. But, if I use two, I get the same error. And, I reduced the size of my problem so it runs and finishes in one cpu swiftly.

File “/home/server/Escritorio/AlejandroF/agfa/simple-transformers/train_language_model.py”, line 138, in
model.train_model(train_filename)
File “/home/server/anaconda3/envs/agfa/lib/python3.9/site-packages/simpletransformers/language_modeling/language_modeling_model.py”, line 431, in train_model
global_step, training_details = self.train(
File “/home/server/anaconda3/envs/agfa/lib/python3.9/site-packages/simpletransformers/language_modeling/language_modeling_model.py”, line 774, in train
model(inputs, labels=labels)
File “/home/server/anaconda3/envs/agfa/lib/python3.9/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/module.py”, line 727, in _call_impl
result = self.forward(*input, **kwargs)
File “/home/server/anaconda3/envs/agfa/lib/python3.9/site-packages/torch/nn/parallel/data_parallel.py”, line 161, in forward
outputs = self.parallel_apply(replicas, inputs, kwargs)
File “/home/server/anaconda3/envs/agfa/lib/python3.9/site-packages/torch/nn/parallel/data_parallel.py”, line 171, in parallel_apply
return parallel_apply(replicas, inputs, kwargs, self.device_ids[:len(replicas)])
File “/home/server/anaconda3/envs/agfa/lib/python3.9/site-packages/torch/nn/parallel/parallel_apply.py”, line 86, in parallel_apply
output.reraise()
File “/home/server/anaconda3/envs/agfa/lib/python3.9/site-packages/torch/_utils.py”, line 428, in reraise
raise self.exc_type(msg)
RuntimeError: Caught RuntimeError in replica 0 on device 0.
Original Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/server/anaconda3/envs/agfa/lib/python3.9/site-packages/torch/nn/parallel/parallel_apply.py”, line 61, in _worker
output = module(*input, **kwargs)
File “/home/server/anaconda3/envs/agfa/lib/python3.9/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/module.py”, line 727, in _call_impl
File “/home/server/anaconda3/envs/agfa/lib/python3.9/site-packages/transformers/models/bert/modeling_bert.py”, line 1329, in forward
outputs = self.bert(
File “/home/server/anaconda3/envs/agfa/lib/python3.9/site-packages/transformers/models/bert/modeling_bert.py”, line 991, in forward
encoder_outputs = self.encoder(
File “/home/server/anaconda3/envs/agfa/lib/python3.9/site-packages/transformers/models/bert/modeling_bert.py”, line 582, in forward
layer_outputs = layer_module(
File “/home/server/anaconda3/envs/agfa/lib/python3.9/site-packages/transformers/models/bert/modeling_bert.py”, line 470, in forward
self_attention_outputs = self.attention(
File “/home/server/anaconda3/envs/agfa/lib/python3.9/site-packages/transformers/models/bert/modeling_bert.py”, line 401, in forward
self_outputs = self.self(
File “/home/server/anaconda3/envs/agfa/lib/python3.9/site-packages/transformers/models/bert/modeling_bert.py”, line 267, in forward
mixed_query_layer = self.query(hidden_states)
File “/home/server/anaconda3/envs/agfa/lib/python3.9/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/linear.py”, line 93, in forward
return F.linear(input, self.weight, self.bias)
File “/home/server/anaconda3/envs/agfa/lib/python3.9/site-packages/torch/nn/functional.py”, line 1692, in linear
output = input.matmul(weight.t())
RuntimeError: CUDA error: CUBLAS_STATUS_NOT_INITIALIZED when calling cublasCreate(handle)

I meant " in one gpu swiftly."

nn.DataParallel (which seems to be used in your use case) could create an imbalanced memory usage and could thus cause an OOM on the default device, which is why we recommend to use DistributedDataParallel with a single process per GPU instead.
I assume you are also running OOM, so I would recommend to try to apply DDP.

Thanks for your answer.

Hi, thanks for your reply. Is there any way that I can save the memories? I have tried to use torch.einsum but seems this cannot save the memories. Any Idea?

Here is an simple example:

# old version
inter_matrix = torch.mm(flatten_masks, flatten_masks.transpose(1, 0))
# new version
inter_matrix = torch.einsum('ik, kj -> ij', flatten_masks, flatten_masks.transpose(1, 0))

I’m not sure what your use case is. Would you like to lower the memory usage on your GPU?

Yep, here is a script that I use to check the GPU memory and running time

import torch
import numpy as np
import time

flatten_masks = np.random.random((800, 60800))

flatten_masks = torch.from_numpy(flatten_masks).cuda(device=0)
print()
t1 = time.time()
i = 0
while i < 2500:
    if i == 500:
        t1 = time.time()
    # old version 
    inter_matrix = torch.mm(flatten_masks, flatten_masks.transpose(1, 0))
    # new version
    # inter_matrix = torch.einsum('ik, kj -> ij', flatten_masks, flatten_masks.transpose(1, 0))
    i += 1
t2 = time.time()
print(t2-t1)

result:

torch.mm torch.einsum
process time (s) 4.69856 4.5713
GPU memory (MiB) 807 807

And my question is what code I can use that I can save the memory?

Hello (conituing on this thread), can you provide me with some guidance:
I am facing a similar error when i try to call on my encoder (of the Transformer block), Error: …
→ 4765 proj = linear(q, w, b)
4766 # reshape to 3, E and not E, 3 is deliberate for better memory coalescing and keeping same order as chunk()
4767 proj = proj.unflatten(-1, (3, E)).unsqueeze(0).transpose(0, -2).squeeze(-2).contiguous()

RuntimeError: CUDA error: CUBLAS_STATUS_NOT_INITIALIZED when calling cublasCreate(handle)

src = self.encoder(
            src=src
            ).to(device)
################################################
encoder_layer = nn.TransformerEncoderLayer(
            d_model=dim_val, 
            nhead=n_heads,
            dim_feedforward=dim_feedforward_encoder,
            dropout=dropout_encoder,
            batch_first=batch_first
            ).to(device)

# Stack the encoder layers in nn.TransformerDecoder
        self.encoder = nn.TransformerEncoder(encoder_layer=encoder_layer,num_layers=n_encoder_layers, norm=True).to(device)

Output:
cuda 1 From model.forward(): Size of src as given to forward(): torch.Size([10, 20, 4]) From model.forward(): tgt size = torch.Size([10, 20, 2]) From model.forward(): Size of src after input layer: torch.Size([10, 20, 2204]) step x shape: torch.Size([10, 20, 2204]) Pe_map shape: torch.Size([10, 1, 2204]) From model.forward(): Size of src after pos_enc layer: torch.Size([10, 20, 2204])

Output exceeds the size limit. Open the full output data in a text editor

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- RuntimeError Traceback (most recent call last)…

Why this error and how do i go about handling this error?

You are also most likely running out of memory which causes the cublasHandle init error as it tries to allocate a workspace. I would recommend reducing the memory usage e.g. by lowering the batch size and check if this fixes the error.

1 Like

Hi! I an exploring Accelerate library form HuggingFace to fine tune BertForSequenceClassification. Relevant code snippets

import os
os.environ['CUDA_LAUNCH_BLOCKING'] = "1"
from accelerate import Accelerator

created Dataset class and Dataloaders
def get_dataloaders():
    train_dl = DataLoader(train_ds, shuffle=True, pin_memory=True)
    val_dl = DataLoader(val_ds, shuffle=False, pin_memory=True)

return train_dl, val_dl

def training_loop():
    filename = "models/bert_category_clsfr"

accelerator = Accelerator()
    device = accelerator.device

model = BertForSequenceClassification.from_pretrained("bert-base-uncased")
    optimizer = torch.optim.AdamW(model.parameters())
    train_dl, val_dl = get_dataloaders()

model, optimizer, train_dl = accelerator.prepare(model, optimizer, train_dl)
    val_dl = accelerator.prepare(val_dl)

for epoch in range(1):
        model.train()
        for step,batch in enumerate(train_dl):
            input_ids = batch["input_ids"].to(device)
            targets = batch["label"].to(device)
            attention_mask = batch["attention_mask"].to(device)
            optimizer.zero_grad()

output = model(input_ids, attention_mask)
            loss = F.cross_entropy(output.logits, targets)

accelerator.backward(loss)
            optimizer.step()

accelerator.wait_for_everyone()
     unwrapped_model = accelerator.unwrap_model(model)
     accelerator.save(unwrapped_model.state_dict(), filename)

from accelerate import notebook_launcher
notebook_launcher(training_loop, num_processes=4)

Results in the same error as above:
ProcessRaisedException:

– Process 0 terminated with the following error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/ec2-user/anaconda3/envs/pytorch_p39/lib/python3.9/site-packages/torch/multiprocessing/spawn.py”, line
69, in _wrap
fn(i, *args)
File “/home/ec2-user/anaconda3/envs/pytorch_p39/lib/python3.9/site-packages/accelerate/utils/launch.py”, line
509, in call
self.launcher(*args)
File “/tmp/ipykernel_73883/403198274.py”, line 25, in training_loop
accelerator.backward(loss)
File “/home/ec2-user/anaconda3/envs/pytorch_p39/lib/python3.9/site-packages/accelerate/accelerator.py”, line
1683, in backward
loss.backward(**kwargs)
File “/home/ec2-user/anaconda3/envs/pytorch_p39/lib/python3.9/site-packages/torch/_tensor.py”, line 488, in
backward
torch.autograd.backward(
File “/home/ec2-user/anaconda3/envs/pytorch_p39/lib/python3.9/site-packages/torch/autograd/init.py”, line
197, in backward
Variable._execution_engine.run_backward( # Calls into the C++ engine to run the backward pass

batch size is 4 for 4 GPUs so I dont think batch size is an issue.
Please share what else can be explored to use Accelerate for distributed training

Could you explain why not and how you’ve verified this batch size should fit into your GPUs?

As per my understanding a batch size of 4 on 4 processors would mean, a batch size of 4 datapoints is executed on single GPU.
If I use the script without Accelerate() and with Huggingface Trainer API, I can run the script successfully with batch size of 16, hence I thought batch size of 4 should not be a problem. In case there is another way to verify that given batch size should fit into GPU please let me know, I will be happy to verify it.

Resolved the error, my problem was not specifying num_labels while loading the model
Changing
BertForSequenceClassification.from_pretrained(“bert-base-uncased”)

to
BertForSequenceClassification.from_pretrained("bert-base-uncased",num_labels=NUM_LABELS)
help in resolving the issue. ALso added torch.cuda.empty_cache() before starting the fine tuning process.