cudaLaunchKernel takes 99% of CPU time

I try to profile the text detection model from GitHub - ymy-k/DPText-DETR: DPText-DETR: Towards Better Scene Text Detection with Dynamic Points in Transformer (AAAI 2023) using torch.profiler
According to the results cudaLaunchKernel takes 99.19% of CPU time.
I tried to use other non-Pytorch-related profilers, that shows that this part is the one to consume the most part of the time.

def gen_encoder_output_proposals(self, memory, memory_padding_mask, spatial_shapes):
        N_, S_, C_ = memory.shape
        base_scale = 4.0
        proposals = []
        _cur = 0
        for lvl, (H_, W_) in enumerate(spatial_shapes):
            mask_flatten_ = memory_padding_mask[:, _cur:(_cur + H_ * W_)].view(N_, H_, W_, 1)
            valid_H = torch.sum(~mask_flatten_[:, :, 0, 0], 1)
            valid_W = torch.sum(~mask_flatten_[:, 0, :, 0], 1)

grid_y, grid_x = torch.meshgrid(torch.linspace(0, H_ - 1, H_, dtype=torch.float32, device=memory.device),
                                            torch.linspace(0, W_ - 1, W_, dtype=torch.float32, device=memory.device))
            grid = torch.cat([grid_x.unsqueeze(-1), grid_y.unsqueeze(-1)], -1)

scale = torch.cat([valid_W.unsqueeze(-1), valid_H.unsqueeze(-1)], 1).view(N_, 1, 1, 2)
            grid = (grid.unsqueeze(0).expand(N_, -1, -1, -1) + 0.5) / scale
            wh = torch.ones_like(grid) * 0.05 * (2.0 ** lvl)
            proposal = torch.cat((grid, wh), -1).view(N_, -1, 4)
            proposals.append(proposal)
            _cur += (H_ * W_)
        output_proposals = torch.cat(proposals, 1)
        output_proposals_valid = ((output_proposals > 0.01) & (output_proposals < 0.99)).all(-1, keepdim=True)
        output_proposals = torch.log(output_proposals / (1 - output_proposals))
        output_proposals = output_proposals.masked_fill(memory_padding_mask.unsqueeze(-1), float('inf'))
        output_proposals = output_proposals.masked_fill(~output_proposals_valid, float('inf'))

output_memory = memory
        output_memory = output_memory.masked_fill(memory_padding_mask.unsqueeze(-1), float(0))
        output_memory = output_memory.masked_fill(~output_proposals_valid, float(0))
        output_memory = self.enc_output_norm(self.enc_output(output_memory))
        return output_memory, 

So, I tried to play around this part, creating some random tensors like this:

memory = torch.randn([1, shape, 256], device = 'cuda')
memory_padding_mask = torch.randn([1, shape], device = 'cuda') > 0.5
spatial_shapes = torch.randint(16, 224, [4, 2], device = 'cuda')
spatial_shapes = torch.tensor([[125, 125],
        [ 63,  63],
        [ 32,  32],
        [ 16,  16]], device='cuda')
tensors.append((memory, memory_padding_mask, spatial_shapes))

with profile(activities=[ProfilerActivity.CPU, ProfilerActivity.CUDA], with_stack=True,) as prof:
    with record_function("model_inference"):
        for memory, memory_padding_mask, spatial_shapes in tensors:
            r = gen_encoder_output_proposals(memory, memory_padding_mask, spatial_shapes)

And I got the same result. Warming up the model doesn’t help me to improve the performance.

However, if I firstly run it on e.g. tensors[:1] and then I execute the whole loop, I got way better results.

So whether there is a weak part that should be replaced or is it a problem of incorrect profiling?

For a more detailed understanding of your workload I would recommend to profile your code with e.g. Nsight Systems as described here. In the timeline view you would be able to see if your workload is CPU-limited and where the bottlenecks are.

@ptrblck Thanks for the recomendation.
I tried to use nsight and got the following result:

So, I still wonder if it is okay for cudaLaunchKernel to take the most part of Total Time?

What do you see in the timeline? Are all kernels packed or are you seeing white spaces between their launches? Were you able to isolate the bottleneck?

Hi, recently I have met almost the same problem. I’ve tried to profile two diffferent models and result show that all the first cudaLaunchKernel cost most of time. I am using Torch 1.10 and torch vision 0.10

The very first calls are irrelevant as they might represent the warmup phase. Especially if your GPU was at its idle state the first op will cost more.

Thanks for your relying! @ptrblck

I did run a few times (about 10 to 15) forward for warmup. However, since I am not clear with the definition of it, I am not sure whether this is enough for warmup.

I warmup like this:

warmup_time=15
for data, i in enumerate(dataloader):
model(data)
if i == warmup_time:
# profile
break
The tracing is like this:

Thank you!